Campaign Trail Update: The Plot Thickens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s been an eventful week in politics and the cogs in the election machine don’t stop turning. There is a new change every week and the Ides of March brought in nothing different than significant changes to the election cycle in its entirety.

The Republican Party is having a whirlwind that never seems to end. It has also taken a swirl for the reality TV end with the insults thrown equaling something I usually see on an episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Articles about Donald Trump are more numerous than any other subject in the news. Marco Rubio dropped out of the race after losing his home state of Florida to Trump. John Kasich holds strong to hopefully hold the Republican vote from being handed over to Donald Trump. The plot only thickens as Senate Republicans promised to block any of President Obama’s nominations for a justice on the Supreme Court.

The Democrats have a closing field on Hillary Clinton as she took a sweeping win after having a surprise belt in the first state in the Rust Belt, Michigan. After a decisive win in Ohio, Clinton forges a greater lead ahead against Sanders and accumulates a greater part of the required delegates for her nomination. The results are heavily anticipated as the election moves closer to the states that are more heavily contested. Also, President Obama chose Merrick Garland, a moderate candidate for the Supreme Court and the nomination battle forges on. 

This is the season during which big decisions are made so it’s important to keep a close eye on the political sphere to make sure nothing too crazy happens in the absence of attention. 

Feature Image via Lexington County, South Carolina

Trina is a first year at Southern Methodist University, majoring in Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. Originally from Wisconsin, she moved to Plano, Texas for high school, where the sweet tea convinced her that the South was her home for the rest of her life! She plans on pursuing a career in banking or in research and speaks Spanish fluently. Trina is a major foodie and has a serious case of wanderlust. She has been to forty states here at home, and also plans on hiking Machu Picchu next summer. For now, she plans on working for HC, continuing research and seeking out all food that the wonderful state of Texas has to offer!
We are the SMU Team.