Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

SMU Blog

How to Survive Finals Week

By Ashley Almquist
December 10, 2013 - 6:29pm

Finals are finally here and for many people, it’s their first time taking finals in college.  So, I have a few tips on how to survive the crazy week and successfully make it to winter break.  1.    Use the A-LEC. READ MORE

Best Christmas Destinations

By Chloe Dinsdale
December 4, 2013 - 11:20am

The year 2013 has held many memories of fun, togetherness, emotions and new experiences. What better way to celebrate these memories than by traveling to some of the best holiday destinations and being thankful and having fun with family and friends? Here is a guide to some of this year’s top travel spots worldwide for the holidays. COLORADO Colorado, known for it’s beautiful Rocky Mountains, is home to amazing ski resorts and winter fun. The weather allows for skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and ice- skating. Homes and hotels are equipped with fireplaces to help warm your toes after a big day on the mountain. Colorado’s resort towns are also home to ice sculptures by locals, shopping, village markets and great food. ALASKA...

The Best Apps for Editing Photos

By Ashley Almquist
November 19, 2013 - 12:47pm

We all love posting pictures on different social media such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Instagram started a revolution in photo editing with its many different filters and many other apps have followed.  Now even Twitter has a photo editor for pictures before you post them. But, people are starting to go outside these apps to edit their photos before posting them. There are hundreds of different photo editing apps and each has different effects and features. So, what apps are the best to edit photos? We have three that are sure to make your photos look amazing without looking too edited.  VSCO Cam READ MORE

Surviving the LDR

By Morgan Siewart
November 12, 2013 - 11:35am

Surviving the Long Distance Relationship Most girls work super hard to make their college relationships work, and the added pressures of being far away from a boyfriend make everything that much more difficult. Every difficult aspect: jealousy, trust issues, and time management are all amplified when the miles between two lovers increase. Read below for tips on how to make your long distance relationship long lasting. 1. Be an open book READ MORE

Are you wearing the wrong workout shoes?

By Sydney Paine
November 8, 2013 - 12:24pm

My first job was as a sales rep at the local downtown Nike store in Portland, Oregon where I grew up. With that job I was required to understand and sell all Nike products. Of everything I learned the most important lesson was that there is a huge difference between workout shoes. Athletic shoes are specifically designed to enhance the athletes performance. If an athlete isn't wearing the right shoes they may not be at their full potential. There are three types of shoes (as I understand): running, training, and sportswear. Before explaining these here are a few things to understand: READ MORE

Must-Go Restaurants Before Graduation

By Molly Williams
October 30, 2013 - 2:12pm

After moving to Dallas, Umphrey Lee was the only eating spot I knew. Now in my final year at SMU, I want to share what I think are must-go restaurants in Dallas. In no particular order, below are ten necessary restaurants to try before you obtain that much desired diploma:   READ MORE

Lulu App: A Girl's Dream and A Guy's Worst Nightmare

By Ashley Almquist
September 24, 2013 - 2:26pm

Have you ever met a guy and desperately wanted to learn more about him - his quirks, personality, charm? Lulu was made for this exact reason. Although it is an up and coming app, just about every guy has at least one review on Lulu that you can read up on. The dilemma is knowing whether the reviews are true or if they are just an ex girlfriend seeking revenge. READ MORE

Healthy Eating at Umph

By karriebradshaw123
September 16, 2013 - 3:25pm

Staying skinny as a freshman is hard enough with the drinking, hangovers, and resulting lack of energy for the gym. Having to eat at umph with a hangover also plays a major role in those few extra pounds that just keep increasing every time you step on the scale, especially when you wake up craving something greasy and the first thing you see walking into that god forsaken cafeteria is fresh pizza, a pasta line, and the smell of freshly baked, warm, just out of the oven cookies. Like, are they trying to make us women fat? I’m still convinced yes, but there are ways to get around it. READ MORE

Throwback to the 90's: 90's Toys, Limited Edition

By Kelly Neupert
September 11, 2013 - 11:00am

We all have those moments in life where we wish we could reverse into the naïve blissfulness of childhood. Potentially even hoping for a Freaky Friday moment in which we could relax under the comfort of our forts and gummy snacks. With the teen heartthrob Aaron Carter just recently gracing us with his presence, it got me thinking about the 90’s… the gelly shoes, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, old Britney, but most importantly, the toys. These days, kids have Ipads and Iphones, but what about the slinkie? Play-doh? READ MORE

Freshmen Rules for Surviving First Semester

By karriebradshaw123
September 3, 2013 - 12:00pm

Freshmen: Take notes off these key and crucial rules to having fun, keeping a good rep, and surviving first semester. Rule #1: Don’t be the drunk, sloppy girl that can probably map out who lives in what room in every frat house. For us ladies, survival of the fittest is who can withstand the fake flattery and oh-too tempting sleepovers with frat boys the longest. Rule #2: Get a planner. Staying organized is essential and there is no better way to do it than writing it out on a tangible schedule. READ MORE