element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Christmas Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The year 2013 has held many memories of fun, togetherness, emotions and new experiences. What better way to celebrate these memories than by traveling to some of the best holiday destinations and being thankful and having fun with family and friends? Here is a guide to some of this year’s top travel spots worldwide for the holidays.

COLORADO

Colorado, known for it’s beautiful Rocky Mountains, is home to amazing ski resorts and winter fun. The weather allows for skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and ice- skating. Homes and hotels are equipped with fireplaces to help warm your toes after a big day on the mountain. Colorado’s resort towns are also home to ice sculptures by locals, shopping, village markets and great food.

ALASKA

Alaska during the holidays is for the brave souls not afraid to freeze to death for some wonderful experiences. ‘Tis the season for activities like ice fishing, dog sledding, and snowshoeing. The Northern Lights are a main attraction during the winter months in which colors paint the sky. Culturally, Alaska is compared to the North Pole and creates a creative mindset for the brave travelers.

NEW YORK CITY

New York City is a prime spot for holiday fun. On top of the tremendous shopping opportunities, one can ice skate beneath the historic Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, ride a horse-drawn carriage through Central Park or visit the Radio City Music Hall and watch the Rockettes dance! Windows of department stores are beautifully decorated in holiday theme to get one feeling like Christmas time is here. New York also houses great food along with its holiday spirit.

PUERTO RICO

A recently popular destination in past years, with cheap deals might I add, is San Juan, Puerto Rico. The lights in Old San Juan are a magical attraction along with the spiritual and cultural dimensions of the region. Feasts of their well-known culinary excellence provide great food for celebration and the spiritual statues placed around the city of San Juan help keep the holiday spirit alive.

COSTA RICA

Costa Rica is a nice place to visit during the holidays because it is so warm and has lots of cultural attractions. Costa Ricans hold many religious gatherings and church ceremonies in preparation for Christmas. Their food is of cultural and religious significance and is feasted upon on Christmas Eve. Not only is the weather unbelievable in Costa Rica, but so are the travel deals. And the activities, including bullfighting and amusement parks, are of cheap and great fun as well.

MEXICO

The perfect Spring Break and Christmas destination is Mexico. It’s incredibly cultural with the religious and cultural celebrations. The decorations remind us what the holidays are all about as nativity scenes are numerous in Mexico. The beach provides the perfect getaway and the activities are endless, including parasailing, surfing, paddle boarding, etc. Food and fun in the cities never stops.

NEW ZEALAND

New Zealand promises sandy beaches and summer weather over the holidays. Santa Claus can even be found on a surfboard or parasailing at sea!! Celebrate in the warm weather in a tropical way as New Zealand natives barbeque Christmas lunch and decorate their trees with tropical flowers and garland. There are so many activities on the beach; one can even dive into their native game, cricket!!

AMSTERDAM

Home to ‘Ol Saint Nick, Amsterdam is a holiday must. The natives turn the city into Christmas Square and bring food and craft markets to the center. There is much shopping to be done at the markets and of course all around Amsterdam. For Saint Nick, there is a big parade, the grand arrival and of course lots of lights. The nightlife is also great for New Years Eve as there are many bars and clubs. You can’t go wrong by booking Amsterdam for the holidays!

Hello everyone!I am a senior at Southern Methodist Univeristy, studying for majors Marketing and Fashion Media. I have written for Her Campus SMU since 2013. I really enjoy the people it has brought me to meet as well as the fun articles I get to write!! My main interests include travel, fly fishing, tennis, writing, reading, styling, shopping and hanging out with my family, friends and boyfriend. I'm looking forward to graduation and a career in the real world! :) 
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor