christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Apps for Editing Photos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We all love posting pictures on different social media such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Instagram started a revolution in photo editing with its many different filters and many other apps have followed.  Now even Twitter has a photo editor for pictures before you post them. But, people are starting to go outside these apps to edit their photos before posting them. There are hundreds of different photo editing apps and each has different effects and features. So, what apps are the best to edit photos? We have three that are sure to make your photos look amazing without looking too edited. 

VSCO Cam

This app is the most user friendly out of the three. You simply upload a photo from your camera roll or take a photo on its camera and click the tools button to edit it. You are then able to use the different filters. The filters are all very different and you can change the intensity of the filters by clicking on the filter again and sliding the dot left and right on the scale.  You can also edit the photo after putting a filter on it. You can adjust aspects of the photo as well by tapping the button that looks like a wrench. You can change the brightness, temperature, contrast, etc. Once you are done editing, you then save your picture to your camera roll and can post it wherever you want. 

Snapseed

This app is amazing for anyone who loves photography. It has so many different filters and edits, but this can be time consuming to figure out. So, if you want a quick edit this may not be the app for you. The extra time is worth it though if you want your picture to be perfect. Once you choose a picture, all of the filters are at the bottom of the screen. Each filter has its own set of edits you can use with it. Once you choose a filter, you swipe up and down and side to side to create a combination you like for your photo. You can also just edit your photo without using a filter.  This app is cool because you can choose a certain are of the photo to edit or the entire picture as a whole. Once you’re done you save it to the camera roll and can upload it to any site you want.

Photoshop Express

This app is modeled after Adobe Photoshop for the computer. They have many different “looks” to add to your picture. You can adjust different aspects of the photo as well. The red eye can also be fixed through this app which is helpful if the editor in the camera roll cannot fix your red eye. Another cool thing about this app is there is a button at the top that allows you to see the original picture vs. your edited picture. This allows you to see which version you prefer.  Once you are done, you can save the picture straight to your camera roll.

All of these apps will help make your pictures the way you want them to look. So, the next time you’re thinking about posting a photo try one of these out!

Broadcast Journalism Major Advertising Minor From Orange County, California
SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor