Beating the Heat: 4 Ways to Dress for Spring in Texas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Imagine spending 30 minutes to an hour getting ready in the morning, picking out a cute outfit for the expected sunny and 85 degree weather. You’re happy with your look and you feel confident for about five minutes… But then the heat hits you and you’re showing up to class extremely warm, your hair immediately going up in a ponytail, asking yourself why you even tried looking cute in the first place. You promise yourself that you will never waste that extra hour of sleep again trying to look cute, and agree to dress in huge t-shirts and running shorts for the rest of the season.

This all too relatable story reminds us that with Texas summers comes Texas heat, and although the heat is nice for laying out at the Mustang Tanning Pool, it’s not so nice when you’re dripping sweat walking from Dallas Hall back to your dorm. Although its almost impossible to avoid the heat, dressing smarter for the weather will help you feel like you’re throwing some shade on summer. 

1. If you have to wear materials that show sweat easily, stick to basic colors and avoid gray. White, black and navy blue are the least likely to show everyone you’re covered in a sheen of perspiration. 

2. If you’re dying for color, wear patterns. After making lemonade, Lily Pulitzer made patterned dresses to hide all the stains on her clothes. She was on to something, but patterns can hide more than just stains. Wear stripes, chevron, checkered, floral or any other patterns you love. The patterns will hide the fact that you’re dying in the heat.

3. Wear flowy shirts, dresses or skirts. With loose clothing, your body will feel any type of breeze that runs through the air and immediately cool you off. Plus, you won’t feel as sticky and gross if your clothes aren’t skin tight. This is the closest you can get to feeling like you’re wearing an XL t-shirt while still looking stylish.

4. Check out Express’s double layer tanks – they provide two thin layers so you still stay cool but any sweat on the inner layer is never visible on the outer layer.

Current picks we love for summer:

From Express

From Nordstrom

Karna is a Junior at Southern Methodist University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and English. She is the Social Media Director for Her Campus SMU, as well as a member of STUMO and Alpha Chi Omega. She is from Orange County, California and loves going to the beach and spending time with her younger sisters when visiting home. When she is not studying, Karna is usually exploring Dallas, listening to country music, or updating her blog, Simply Karna.
We are the SMU Team.