Attention: Bitmoji is Actually Just the 90s Girl’s Lizzie McGuire Cartoon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The last few years have brought a lot of innovation to the beloved text message. It all started with the timeless GIF and has spiraled to the point that Kim Kardashian’s butt now has its own keyboard. Bitmoji – which is basically a customizable avatar – allows you to send humorous photos that caption and captivate everyday life. Bitmojis are probably the greatest thing to happen to the 90s girl, besides of course the resurgence of bangs! Now you can send your thoughts, feelings and frustrations via sarcastic cartoon; I mean it’s like living inside the Lizzie McGuire series. Hillary Duff would most defiantly be proud!

Lizzie’s animated asides revealed the episodes of Lizzie’s thoughts that weren’t being portrayed by her actions and Bitmoji allows us to do just that. In an interview with writer Luke Ford, Lizzie McGuire’s producer Stan Rogow explained that the Disney Network was looking for a way to creatively share Lizzie’s middle school dilemmas using a higher concept than the traditional voiceover, but it wasn’t until the later stages of production that the amped up, witty, animated Lizzie was conceived. Likewise, Bitmoji reduces the world around us into two-dimensional pictorial thought blurbs that allow us to elevate social media interactions. Our Bitmojis allow us a persona that is a slightly goofier, probably skinnier, and defiantly more honest.

As college students there are a lot of valuable lessons we have learned from Lizzie McGuire. She got us through our awkward middle school years, but lets face it: there is still a lot we can take from Lizzie and apply to our lives today. From oggling over the “Ethan Craft” of gen chem or relating Lizzie and Miranda’s first bra shopping experiences to that of buying our first fake IDs; Lizzie- but more so animated Lizzie- taught us what it means to be awkward, insecure and confused. Validating that it is totally normal to have WTF thoughts.

SaveSaveSaveSave

Taylor Hintze is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in Engineering Management Science & minoring in Fashion Media. She loves writing the campus cutie section & is always on the hunt for the perfect man bun. If she isn't in Starbucks then she is checking out a local SoulCycle class in search of a straight male instructor.
We are the SMU Team.