9 Signs that you have Coulrophobia, the Fear of Clowns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With the new release of Stephen King’s “It”, it’s beginning to feel like we’re surrounded by clowns. I’m experiencing major flashbacks to last year when there was bunch of creepers dressed as clowns terrorizing college campuses. That was wild. Here are nine photos that will prove you suffer from Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns. 

1. How does this clown make you feel?

Photo via YouTube

2. Imagine running into this guy in the locker room

Photo via YouTube

3. What would you do if this guy came to your door trick-or-treating?

Photo Via Pinterest

4. Did you like the new “It” movie?

Photo via GIPHY

Photo via YouTube

5. How about the original? 

Photo via The Lineup

6. Imagine opening your closet and you see him. 

Photo via GIPHY

7. Did you know that John Wayne Gacy, one of America’s most prolific serial killers, was a clown in his spare time?

Photo via Murderpedia

8. Does this guy make you want to lock your doors?

Photo via YouTube

9. How does he make you feel?

Photo via Instagram

Feeling the heebie-jeebies? It’s starting to sound like you might have Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns!

Mary Chamberlain Harlan is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. An ardent liberal, she is passionate about human rights and works with Spectrum, LGBT Panels, and TEDx SMU to raise awareness for the LGBT community. She has been obsessed with horror movies since age 8, when she first saw Poltergeist, and plans to write her senior thesis on the impact of the horror genre on the modern world.
We are the SMU Team.