9 Apps for College to Download RIGHT NOW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

If you think your phone is only good for liking Instagram pics and catching Pokemon, think again! Your phone can be the difference between a successful college semester or a wasted one, whether you’re looking to save money or find a party. So pull out your phone and download these apps right now (it won’t even cost a thing!)

1. Uber

This is your key to freedom. When you get sick of the same buildings on campus, Uber can take you out into the world! Whether you need to make a Target run or you need a ride back from a party (safety first!), this taxi-like service can take you all over Dallas. It’s a life saver for the student without a car, just call up an Uber and be outside in time to get in. 2. Group Me

Group project? Get Group Me. This app works as a group message for anyone, regardless of phone brand, so even your strange Android friend can join in on all the fun. You can create events, like posts to make polls, and, perhaps most importantly, you can easily mute the group to get some peace when your Economics project group starts getting out of control. 3. Pocket Points

We get it, there are some classes so mind-numbingly boring that you wouldn’t put your phone away if someone paid you. Well, with Pocket Points, it’s almost like someone does. When you get to class turn on the app and then lock your screen– the longer you stay off your phone, the more points you earn. These points can then be redeemed at retailers and restaurants all around Dallas for discounts. And as an added bonus, the more SMU students on the app at once, the faster everyone earns points! 4. Canvas

Hopefully you’ve already figured this out, but the website where all of your class information is has its own app! If you set up notifications, you can get texts or alerts letting you know when assignments get graded, files get posted, or when announcements go up (such as when class gets cancelled– get it instantly as a text message and you won’t even have to get out of bed!). 5. Venmo

Remember when you had your friend run to CVS and buy you a stain stick because you spilled coffee all over your white shirt? Well now you need to pay her back. You could try and find an ATM, get cash, make change, find your friend, etc. or you could just get Venmo and send her a direct deposit. You set up your bank account securely and the app lets you send money to your friends’ accounts very simply. Then if they pay you, you get a little notification telling you you’re gonna get money! 6. Toga

You don’t know where the party is. Your friend doesn’t know where the party is. No one knows where the party is (leave it to frat guys to be bad at planning). Enter Toga, which lists every campus party and event all in one place with all of the info you could need. You’ll never again be caught with nowhere to be on a Friday night. 7. Starbucks

Do we really even need to explain this one? It’s coffee. You’re in college. And now you can order in advance and just pick it up. How does it get better than that?

8. Sunshine

Maybe you’re from the North and 50 degree weather is beautiful heated bliss. Maybe you’re from Texas and 50 degrees is practically a decree from Mother Nature that you’re going to freeze to death. The same weather can mean completely different things to people, so Sunshine personalizes it to you. You go outside and tell the app how the weather feels to you (warm, cool, freezing ass cold…) and it begins to learn your habits. Then, every day the app sends you a notification telling you how the day will feel to you– even telling you how to dress to be most comfortable! Never be caught without a jacket again!

9. Favor

You know how it’s fun to sit around and dream about your favorite food getting delivered right to your door so you don’t have to go out and get it (because that requires real pants, and that’s just not worth it?) Get Favor. You pick a restaurant, put in your order, and a Favor driver goes and picks it up and brings it to you all for the cost of food and a bit extra for delivery. It’s like pizza delivery, except the possibilities are endless!

With all these apps, you’ll be sure to rock college like a pro!

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.