The 6 Best Places To Play Pokemon GO On SMU’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Pokemon GO was the breakout game of the summer. Even months after its release, it still makes $4 million a day, and has outsold all of the summer’s top blockbusters. Southern Methodist University, our very own school, turns out to be an amazing place to play Pokemon GO, with three gyms and dozens of Pokestops on our campus. The gyms change allegiance from Mystic to Valor to Instinct multiple times a day, and the number of people playing on campus turns out to be very high. I can’t be the only one who keeps the app open on the walk to class just to hatch my eggs (favorite so far was hatching a Ponyta right outside of Dallas Hall) and to hit the Pokestops on the way. Here are the best places on campus to catch Pokemon (and some bonuses) so that maybe you can stop getting so many Rattatas and Pidgeys. 

1. Annette Caldwell Simmons Hall

The new education building is probably such a good place to catch Pokemon because it’s so darn fancy, with construction finally concluding last semester. In this area, I’ve caught not only this Wheezing, but also a Kadabra, an Abra, and a Tauros.

2. Caruth Hall 

Bulbasaur is legitimately my most favorite of all the Pokemon (the little bulb is so cute!), and I literally pulled over in the SMU PD parking lot because my friend saw one on the radar. Just look at how happy Bulby is!

3. Fondren Library

Fondy has three Pokestops on it- the west entrance, the east entrance, and the curled steel sculpture on the outside. Because absolutely no one actually wants to do their homework, at least one of the stops will always have a Lure on it. When you get tired of studying, just take a hike with the app open, hatch some eggs, maybe go to the new Starbucks downstairs. Perhaps after that you’ll be motivated to get some work done. 

4. Dallas Hall

This building is one of the places on campus where we will all have to go at least once in a while, especially with all the required pillar classes of second language and DISC that are almost all held within its hallowed halls. Dallas Hall also has a gym on it, so I’ve actually started going to class early so that I can battle a little before the professor gets there. This Starmie has a CP of 976, and it’s surprising the number of water Pokemon that we seem to have on campus. Maybe it’s all the fountains. 

5. Meadows School of the Arts

The Meadows School has some great places for Pokemon, especially if you really time it right, sometimes you can also reach the Pokestops at the health center and the memorial benches. 

6. Any Fountain Ever

They’re for more than just jumping in on your way back from a night of drinking. They’re all Pokestops. The main Dallas Hall fountain, the Val and Frank Late Fountain, the Laura Lee Blanton Fountain, you name it. Jump in for a cute picture or maybe catch a Growlithe or two. You do you.

BONUS: The Best Places in Dallas to catch Pokemon

Not all of us have cars, but some of us do, and some of us can whip out the app at some point after we’ve Ubered to Uptown or to a frat party venue. If you get a chance to venture out into the city, head to these places to catch some rare species of Pokemon. 

Bishop Arts District 

Bishop Arts is wonderful for finding eccletic stores, antique shops, and amazing pie shops. It also has art murals that double as Pokestops and places to take a cute picture with your besties. Before you stop to Emporium Pies to get possibly the best pies in Dallas, make sure to get all the Pokestops on Eighth Street.

Dallas Museum of Art 

The DMA recently had an event just for Pokemon Trainers, where it placed Lures on all of its Pokestops and invited players to compete to “be the very best” throughout the bounds of the museum. You can be both cultured with art and popcultured by catching a Venusaur. 

So come on Collegiettes! You can “catch ’em all” on your way to class or while going back and forth from Umph to your dorm. Lace up your running shoes and charge up your phones, because SMU needs to level up its gyms already! 

All Images by Moriah Raisis. Some images have been edited. Pokemon GO is a trademark of Nintendo, the Pokemon Company.

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.
We are the SMU Team.