5 things to do if you’re staying in Dallas for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, many are flying home to their families. But for those that can’t make it home for the holidays, or those that call Dallas their home, there are plenty of great things to do in the area during the festivities. Here are some of the great events happening on Turkey Day in the Big D: 

1. Turkey Trot

If you’re feeling like getting a workout in before your Thanksgiving food coma, join the 48th Annual Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot. This is the biggest Thanksgiving event of its kind in the nation, and it’ll get you moving in either the 5k or 8-mile course around Dallas. And if walking/running isn’t your thing, you can also sign up as a volunteer. For more information about the event, check out their website here.

When: Nov. 26, 2015 at 9 a.m.

Where: Dallas City Hall Plaza (500 Marilla St. Dallas, TX 75201)

Courtesy of the Dallas YMCA

2. Holiday at the Arboretum

Get in the holiday spirit by taking a trip to see the beautiful gardens at the Dallas Arboretum. The events/exhibits this year include the return of the 12 Days of Christmas and The Artistry of the Nativity. You can also take your friends and family to the daily Holiday Tea at the DeGolyer restaurant beginning on Nov. 27. For more information about the events, exhibits, and ticketing, visit their page here.

When: From Nov. 8, 2015 to Jan. 3, 2016

Where: Dallas Arboretum (8525 Garland Rd. Dallas, TX 75218)

Courtesy of the Dallas Arboretum

3. Parade of Lights

Take a road trip to Fort Worth for the annual Parade of Lights hosted by XTO Energy. The event will be full of floats and holiday decorations. You can also support a great cause by bringing unwrapped toys and giving it to a volunteer Cowboy Santa for the kids around Fort Worth. You can also shop and dine around the area before the parade. For more information about the event, visit their site here.

When: Nov. 22, 2015

Where: Sundance Square Plaza (420 Main St. Fort Worth, TX 76102)

Courtesy of the Parade of Lights

4. A day at Klyde Warren Park

Spend a sunny afternoon with your friends and family at Klyde Warren Park and enjoy all of the free music, events, and scenery that it has to offer. Bonus: there are always food trucks. For more information about Klyde Warren park and their events, visit their site here.

When: N/A

Where: Klyde Warren Park (2012 Woodall Rodgers Freeway Dallas, TX 75201)

Courtesy of the Klyde Warren Park

5. Shopping

If none of these work for you, then shop till you drop. Hit the Galleria or NorthPark during your time off, or during their Black Friday sales. For more information about the Galleria, visit their site here, or visit the NorthPark website here.

When: Nov. 27, 2015

Where: Galleria Dallas (13350 Dallas Pkwy Dallas, TX 75240) or NorthPark Center (8687 N Central Expy Dallas, TX 75225)

Courtesy of Google

My name is Jessika Roude and I am a member of Southern Methodist University’s class of 2017. I am majoring in journalism and minoring in photography.I work in SMU TV’s The Daily Update and Punto TV, where I have learned all aspects of running a news show. This includes producing, anchoring, directing, technical directing, server, teleprompter, CG/still-store, audio engineering, floor directing, writing, and running cameras. I am also experienced in photography and video and photo editing.I was born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela and then relocated to Miami, Florida where I graduated from Miami Country Day School for high school. I am fluent in English, Spanish, and Italian and can also understand Russian and Arabic.
We are the SMU Team.