5 Halloween Themed Cocktails for your Next Big Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Halloween is a time for candy, trick-or-treating and spooktacular sites. Sometimes Halloween gives us a chance to make some scary cocktails. There are times and places for some 21+ fun, and All Hallows Eve is definitely one of them. We scoured the Internet for the best cocktail recipes that embody the season, and came back with five of them. Here are the ones that we tried, and what we thought!

Smoking Blackberry Margarita

Recipe courtesy of Wicked Spatula  

Photo via Wicked Spatula

Ingredients: 

• 2 ounces 100% agave silver tequila
  • 1 ounce lemon juice
  • 8 blackberries
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • Dry Ice (Optional)

Instructions: 

1. Muddle blackberries in a cocktail shaker until completely broken down (Or if you’re as lazy as I am, mash the blackberries with a spoon and pour them into a glass.) 

2. Pour tequila, lemon juice and maple syrup into the glass and mix with the blackberries. 

3. Add in a few cubes of dry ice to get the smoking effect (NOTE: Do not touch dry ice, and do not enjoy your drink until the dry ice has melted!)

Review: Delicious! The muddled blackberries add a lot, especially if you like fruit margaritas. The dry ice is a super cool effect, but you really do have to be careful with it! Rating: 8/10

Vampire Kiss Martini

Recipe courtesy of Cooking with Sugar

Photo via Cooking with Sugar

Ingredients: 

•  3 oz. Chilled Pinnacle “Whipped” Vodka
  • Strawberry Sundae syrup

Instructions: 

1. Rim the edge of the martini glass with the strawberry syrup, letting it drip into the glass. 

2. Pour vodka into a shaker with ice, shake well, and strain into glass.

3. Optional: Add plastic vampire teeth for garnish! 

Review Looks as good as it tastes! Be sure you’re prepared for a very strong drink, though! Rating: 6.5/10

Witches’ Brew

Recipe courtesy of Lil’ Luna

Photo via Lil’ Luna

Ingredients: 

• 1 quart lime sherbet, softened just a bit
  • 1 – 12 oz can. frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
  • 1/2 liter Sprite or 7UP
  • 1/2 liter Lime Smirnoff Vodka

Instructions:

1. Take all the ingredients and mix ’em all together! 

NOTE: For a non-alcoholic option, use 1 liter of Spite/7UP instead of the vodka

Review: Perfect for people like me, who like their drinks extra sweet! Rating: 10/10

Ghosts in the Graveyard

Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart

Photo via Martha Stewart 

Ingredients:

• 2 ounces black vodka
  • 2 ounces coffee-flavored liqueur
  • 1 scoop vanilla ice cream

Instructions: 

1. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a large glass.

2. In a separate glass, combine the vodka and coffee liqueur. Slowly pour over ice cream.

Review: Another great cocktail for those with a sweet tooth! It’s like drinking coffee ice cream. Rating: 9/10

Hocus Pocus Halloween Cocktail 

Recipe courtesy of The Foodie Affair

Photo via The Foodie Affair

Ingredients:

• ⅔ cup Paradise Blend Juice by Dole
  • ⅓ cup Coconut Rum
  • Club soda
  • Black sanding sugar (optional)
  • Honey (optional)

Instructions:

1. Apply a thin coating of honey to the rim of your glass. Roll glass onto a plate of black sanding sugar.
  2. Mix juice and coconut rum together. Divide and pour into two prepared glasses. Add a couple of cubes of ice and top with club soda.

Review: Fruity and delicious! The orange and black are super festive too. Rating: 8/10

Mary Chamberlain Harlan is a junior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. An ardent liberal, she is passionate about human rights and works with Spectrum, LGBT Panels, and TEDx SMU to raise awareness for the LGBT community. She has been obsessed with horror movies since age 8, when she first saw Poltergeist, and plans to write her senior thesis on the impact of the horror genre on the modern world.
We are the SMU Team.