5 Fun winter snacks (with a few twists)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Between finals and what seems to be a very cold winter ahead, we are all in need of a few treats. But instead of making the same old recipes, why not add a few twists to the mix? Here are some of the quickest, and yummiest, snacks to enjoy during the winter:

1. Hot Chocolate

What you’ll need:

• Unsweetened cocoa power or hot chocolate mix
  • Milk
  • Sugar
  • Ice cream
  • Your favorite alcoholic drink

Mix cocoa powder, milk and sugar (as directed in the package) and then add half a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream for a great combination of flavors. Or, if you’re feeling like making the night a little more fun with your friends, substitute the ice cream for a shot of your favorite alcoholic drink (vodka is recommended).

Courtesy of Google search

2. S’mores Dip

What you’ll need:

• Iron skillet or non-stick pan (small)
  • Cookie dough
  • Chocolate chips (semi-sweet preferred)
  • Marshmellows
  • Peanut butter cups (optional)
  • Graham crackers

This is the perfect snack to have during any get-together with friends. Get an iron skillet or a non-stick pan and spread the cookie dough so that it covers the whole pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the cookie dough and then layer with the marshmellows. You can also replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter cups for a unique taste. Bake in the oven at 400-450 degrees for 7-10 minutes and then enjoy with the graham crackers.

Courtesy of Google search

3. Nutella Mug Cake

What you’ll need:

• 4 tbsp of sugar
  • 3 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp of self-rising flour
  • 3 tbsp of milk
  • 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • Nutella

Get ready for an amazing Netflix + you snack. Mix all of the ingredients in a mug (put as much Nutella as you want). You can use a mini whisk or a fork to do the mixing. Then, put the mug in the microwave for around 1 minute 30 seconds.

Image and recipe courtesy of ilovepasta.com

4. Chocolate Brownie Cookies

What you’ll need:

• Baking sheet
  • 3 cups of powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 egg
  • 4 oz. of chopped bittersweet chocolate
  • 3 tbsp of cacao nibs

Another great recipe for a night in with friends. Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder and salt, then add in the eggs. Fold in the chocolate and cacao nibs and place on the baking sheet. Throw in the oven at around 350 degrees and bake for 14-16 minutes.

Image and recipe courtesy of bonappetit.com

5. Grilled Cheese

What you’ll need:

• Bread slices
  • 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
  • American or cheddar cheese (around 4 slices)
  • Black pepper
  • Truffle salt (optional)
  • Tomato soup (for dipping)

The perfect late-night fun snack. Put the slices of bread on a flat surface and spread the mayo over the top part of each slice. Heat skillet over medium and put half of the butter on the pan. Place one of the slices on the skillet, mayo facing down, after the butter melts, put the cheese on top and season with the pepper. Cover with the other slice of bread, making sure the mayo side is on top. Once the underside is golden, flip the sandwich and add in the rest of the butter. Press down gently to ensure an even melt of the cheese. Enjoy this even more by adding a bit of truffle salt with the pepper!

My name is Jessika Roude and I am a member of Southern Methodist University’s class of 2017. I am majoring in journalism and minoring in photography.I work in SMU TV’s The Daily Update and Punto TV, where I have learned all aspects of running a news show. This includes producing, anchoring, directing, technical directing, server, teleprompter, CG/still-store, audio engineering, floor directing, writing, and running cameras. I am also experienced in photography and video and photo editing.I was born and raised in Caracas, Venezuela and then relocated to Miami, Florida where I graduated from Miami Country Day School for high school. I am fluent in English, Spanish, and Italian and can also understand Russian and Arabic.
We are the SMU Team.