sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Dates Inspired by Horror Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Ahh, horror movies. They scare us, they unsettle us, and they even inspire us. While they clearly inspire us to act smarter if a murderer is ever chasing us, (I mean really, why would you run into the creepy basement? How is that going to help you?) they can also inspire us in our romantic lives! Clearly, horror movies are the best source of date ideas, and here are some of the best!

1. “Cabin in the Woods”—Go camping 

Whether you’re cuddled up together in sleeping bags or battling a supernatural entity of evil meant to kill your friends and destroy the entire world, you and your special someone are sure reconnect romantically.

2. “Cujo”—Play with puppies

Who doesn’t love dogs?!? Puppies are the best. Sure, sometimes they turn into bloodthirsty maniacs, but that doesn’t happen very often at all. Head down to a local animal shelter or pet store and spend an afternoon cuddling cute little fur babies.

3. “Zombieland”—Go to an amusement park

Rollercoasters, carnival games, junk food (did someone say Twinkies?) are only the beginning of the fun when you have a date at a theme park. While I could say you need to avoid zombies, some parks like Six Flags have actually embraced the trend with fright nights where zombies wander the park. So… maybe actually seek out the zombies!

4. “Jaws”—Spend a day on the water

We Dallas people might not be near an ocean, but we are near several lakes that offer plenty of water fun. You could kayak, sail, jet ski—the only thing is you won’t get to see any murderous sharks, which might be a bit of a let down.

5. “The Ring”—Watch a movie together

Okay, so maybe watching a movie where a creepy girl will crawl out of the screen to murder you in seven days isn’t the best idea for a romantic date. But, thankfully, no shows on Netflix are like that (at least that I know of). Pick a movie you both haven’t seen before, snuggle up together, and enjoy.

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.