Style > Beauty

4 Ways to Change Your Hair Without Chopping it All Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

I recently went in for a haircut to freshen up for the new season. As a person who likes to branch out every time I go for a trim, it can feel kind of stifling to want to retain length. I’ve finally grown my hair to a length I like, and I’ve realized that short hair makes my face look like a circle… so I’m committed to keeping it long and luxurious. However, I always feel an urge to try something new. 

If you’re like me and want a change that takes less commitment, or you are just looking for a way to add some spice to your life, check out these fun ways to change your hair without chopping it all off!

1. BANGS

So this was my personal choice to switch things up, and I could not be happier. I didn’t do drastic bangs whatsoever, just some light side framing. It’s a little funky and gave me just the amount of change I needed. 

There’s blunt bangs:

Side Bangs:

Piecey, fringy bangs:

They can take upkeep, but it’s easy to pin them back or style. Its a really quick way to switch things up while keeping your locks long!

2. Color 

Dye it! There are infinite possibilities for the color of your hair. There are charts upon charts of semi-permanent and permanent options that will leave you indecisive and excited.

Photo via Nail Polish Canada

A new color warms up your hair, and it can add a really great gleam. It’s so fun, and the worst case scenario is hating it and just dyeing it back.

3. Texture

So, as a curly girl, one of my favorite things to do is curl or straighten my hair. It’s kind of fun to see people’s reactions, and I love how smooth it feels afterwards. I found this great video the other day with different ways to curl it, and I have been loving doing curls with a wand.

4. Style

Learn new styles for your hair! I love doing updos, and braided looks. Plus there are some great hairstyles for day two… or day three hair. When your hair is messy from a long night of studying, an easy style can throw everything together. I find the best place to look is Pinterest! Here are some of my faves.

Style via Uplifting Mayhem

Style via Gal Meets Glam

Hopefully this article is some inspiration to switch things up! It can be intimidating to change your style, but there are ways to do it that aren’t so drastic. I will say, it’s really fun to make the big chop, but sometimes you can find something else that suits you! Deviation can just be the push you need to change up your aesthetic. Plus, it’s nice do something different at the change of a season to feel the fresh start.

We are the SMU Team.