3 Signs You’re Ready To Be A Dog Parent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Dogs- they’re unofficially rated the world’s favorite house pet (sorry, cat lovers) by humans. From teacup poodles to Great Danes, the numerous breeds and sizes dogs come in allow for every individual to find their pet counterpart. 

Photo by Olivia Nguyen 

But when do you know when you’re ready to move from “dog admirer” or “occasional dog sitter and dog godmother” to full-blown dog owner? For those straddling the line and wanting some words of advice, here are three signs you’re ready to be a dog mom:

1. You’re a morning person

While 99 percent of the time owning a dog is a fun, fulfilling and joyful experience, the one percent major nuisance is the early wake-up call. Unless you want to wake up to a morning “present” and deal with the aftermath everyday, you’ll have to adjust your sleep schedule to accommodate your pooch’s “morning go.” One major perk: sunrise walks with your best friend.

2. You’re a creature of habit

This reason should be assumed given the prelude above. If you’re contemplating owning a dog and caring for a live, furry being, then you must be responsible. This means in addition to the morning wake up calls and clean up duty, you’re able to do these tasks around the same time of day, everyday. Pro tip: writing down a daily schedule and integrating your pet parental duties will yield productivity and prevent (dog)child neglect.

3. You can be selfless

The arguably most important factor to owning a dog (besides the obvious monetary factor) is the willingness to sacrifice your wants for their needs. For the days when it’s pouring rain and you don’t want to go outside, or the nights where you want to go to Homebar and stay out until sunrise, you have to be able to put aside these self wants for the well-being of your dog. However, learning to compromise and think outside yourself is one of the most rewarding and fulfilling things you can do.

SaveSaveSaveSave

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.