11 Things You Didn’t Know You Needed During Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Recruitment is a fun time, when you can meet new active sorority girls from different houses and ultimately decide which sisterhood you want to be a part of, but it definitely doesn’t come without its stressful moments. In order to make this process as painless as possible, there are several things you should bring with you to keep yourself looking fresh and feeling confident all week. You will be allowed to bring a plastic baggie with a few small essential items, so here are a few suggestions about what to bring along as you go from house to house. 

1. Comfortable Shoes

Even though you are trying to look as stylish as possible at each house, you should seriously consider following the wardrobe suggestions posted online and wear sneakers when it is permissible. There is a surprising amount of walking to be done between the houses, and wearing new or uncomfortable shoes can cause some seriously nasty blisters. Be sure to break in any new pairs of shoes prior to rush, and try to wear comfortable shoes because everyone gets fussy when their feet hurt! 

Photo by Ryan McGuire

2. Waterproof Makeup

Because some of the houses are a bit hot inside and some days of recruitment can be a little emotional, using waterproof makeup is a great way to make sure you are looking your best all day. Sweat and tears don’t stand a chance against a good tube of waterproof mascara and a bit of waterproof eyeliner. 

3. Sunscreen

Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean the sun isn’t shining! Be sure to apply sunscreen before you head out every morning, or else you’ll be dealing with a nasty sunburn for the rest of the week. This goes for Rho Gammas too, since they’re usually stationed at one particular house every day and spend a lot of time standing outside. 

4. A Game Plan

Rush runs on a very tight schedule and you won’t have a lot of time for lunch, so making a plan for how, when and where to get food each day is especially helpful. If your mom comes to Dallas for rush, consider asking her to bring you something to eat, so you can stay close to the houses during lunch break and won’t have to worry about making it back on time. If you are getting lunch with your friends, establish a place to meet up in advance because you likely will not all be in the same Rho Gamma group and will be released for lunch from different locations.

5. Mints

For whatever reason, dry mouth is a real issue when making casual conversation with actives in each of the houses, especially at the first house you visit each day. Perhaps it occurs because the conversation is relatively continuous for the duration of the time you spend in each house, or perhaps it is just a product of nerves. Either way, it’s always a good idea to pop in a breath mint between each house, just to make sure your breath is fresh and you’re ready to keep chatting!

6. Lip Balm

Just as your mouth gets dry when you’re chatting with actives, your lips tend to get a bit dry as well. Carrying lip balm with you is helpful since you can reapply between houses. Your lips will feel moisturized and you will have the added benefit of looking more put together at your next house!

7. Tissues

Since recruitment at SMU happens during one of the coldest months of the year, chances are it will be a bit chilly outside when you’re walking between houses. Though walking into a toasty, warm sorority house is a nice break from the cold, your nose tends to drip due to the sudden transition from cold to warm. Don’t worry, it happens to everyone. It’s always a good idea to carry tissues so you can wipe your nose if you need to.

8. Powder

Some days of recruitment can be especially long and subsequently your face can get a bit shiny under your makeup. A small compact of translucent powder is a good way to keep yourself looking fresh, and to prevent your skin from looking oily as you visit houses later in the day.

9. Snacks

Like I said before, the days are long during the recruitment process and your lunch break will not last more than an hour, so consider bringing a snack or two to eat during your break or between houses. It is never fun to feel hangry (hungry + angry, for those who don’t know) when you are visiting a house, and low blood sugar can have some seriously negative effects on your attitude. A power bar or two may save you when you’re running from house to house all day.

11. A Good Attitude and an Open Mind

Many girls come into recruitment with their minds already made up about which house they want to be in. This attitude can be incredibly destructive as you meet cool new girls in different houses each day. Coming into recruitment with your mind made up can prevent you from making a choice based on what truly matters to you, and you will close yourself off to all of the fun people you haven’t met prior to rush! Be kind to every girl you meet in every house just as they are being kind to you. 

12. *Bonus* DO NOT Bring Your Phone!

You will be told in the mandatory information session not to bring your phone. Take this warning very seriously! You can be removed from the recruitment process if you are caught with your phone, so be sure to leave it in your dorm. Plus, the decisions you make regarding houses is ultimately up to you, so there is really no need to be consulting your friends before you pref each day. Recruitment is about what you want in a sisterhood, and what will make you the happiest, and that is a decision you need to make for yourself. 

We are the SMU Team.