10 Ways to de-stress during finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Finals are that terrifying, stressful time that come twice a year. Between the anxiety, lack of sleep and survival on coffee, they can take quite the toll on you. Below are ten easy ways to help you unwind and take a break from studying.

Courtesy of tumblr

1. Cook a dinner

If you live in dorms, use a friend’s kitchen and offer to cook dinner. Even if you aren’t a good chef, cooking is a way to focus your mind on something other than your upcoming final. Turn on some fun music and look up a recipe to try. No matter what, you get to eat at the end!

2. Dance around your room

Blast your favorite music and take five minutes to dance around your room like a crazy person! This will help you get moving and get your energy back up! Plus no one’s there to judge your silly dance moves!

Courtesy of tumblr

3. Take a bubble bath/ hot shower

Pro tip: Treat yourself and buy a nice-smelling new body wash or bubble bath. Different scents can help different ailments; ask the sales associate what the best scent is for increased focus or relaxation!

4. Take a walk

Go in the early evening and either walk around your neighborhood or campus. This time of year many people have holiday lights up, so take time to enjoy that! Grab some friends and use this time to catch up!

5. Get a manicure/pedicure

Take an hour or two and treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure. Nothing feels better than having newly painted toes and nails! Scientists say that the color red increases focus so try that color on your nails.

Courtesy of tumblr

6. Decorate your dorm

The holidays are approaching quickly. Who doesn’t love sparkly lights and bright decorations? No matter what you celebrate, putting up pretty lights or a wreath in your room can help to ease stress! Try a store like Target or Walmart for affordable lights and other decorations!

7. Organize your room

This goes with the previous tip but organizing what you already have is truly helpful. It’s hard to focus when the environment around you is as mess. Plus, cleaning or organizing gives your brain a break and helps it to relax.

8. Go to yoga

Yoga is not for everyone, but with so many different types and classes available it can be worth a try. Many places offer deals for students so this option is also affordable! Check local deals and gather a group of friends!

Courtesy of tumblr

9. Visit or Skype with family

Talking to family can be extremely comforting, so make an effort to contact them whether they live in the area or not. Call your mom or run back home to see them if they’re close. Contacting old friends, or friends from high school, is also a nice way to reconnect and relax.

10. Take a deep breath and remember it will be okay!

Study your hardest, but remember at the end of the day that this is just a small period in the scheme of your life and it will pass! Try your best, but don’t totally lose your sense of yourself along the way! Remember: the break is right around the corner! 

Courtesy of tumblr

Feature image: Courtesy of chicagonow.com

Christina is a sophomore at SMU studying Advertising and Fashion Media. When not writing, she enjoys cooking, exploring Dallas, and playing with her pug puppy, Stella. You can follow her on Instagram @prettylittlemyers. 
We are the SMU Team.