10 Things the SMU Bookstore Sells That You Didn’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s common knowledge that the SMU Barnes and Noble on Mockingbird Lane can satisfy all of your textbook or outerwear needs, but that’s not all the bookstore has to offer. Aside from fluffy half-zips and office supplies, the bookstore sells a myriad of other “essentials” that you can charge to your student account. 

1. Makeup

From your favorite drug store brands to Smashbox, the bookstore sells more makeup than you can imagine. Aside from your average makeup essentials, they also sell more obscure products like the Lipstick Queen “Frog Prince” Color Changing Lipstick. At first glance it looks like a tube of bright green lipstick, but once you put it on, it matches your pH to give you the perfect pink. Next time you want to splurge on beauty products, consider heading over to the bookstore because your parents would probably rather see a charge from Barnes and Noble on your bank statement than one from Sephora.

2. St. Tropez Self Tanner

As we enter these cold winter months, it’s becoming harder and harder to achieve that sun-kissed glow. But not to fear, the SMU bookstore has got you covered with high-end self-tanner products like St. Tropez. They sell several different formulas like lotions and mousses so you can get golden glowing skin in whatever way works best for you. 

3. Nail Polish

If you don’t feel like getting your nails done at a nail salon, the bookstore sells several brands of nail polish so you can paint them yourself. They even sell the Sally Hansen Gel polish so you can give yourself a full set of gels without needing a UV lamp.

4. Hunter Rain Boots

If you’re in need of some new rain boots, the bookstore sells trendy brands like Hunter. They even come in variety of different colors and heights so you’re not limited to the classic black.

5. Shampoo and Conditioner

Next time you’re running low on shower supplies, head over to the bookstore. They sell several different brands of shampoo and conditioner so you can quickly restock if you’re running low.

6. Towels and Sheets

Instead of going to Pottery Barn next time you need new sheets or towels, head over to the bookstore for a quick bedding fix. They sell basic sheets and towels in case you need to pick up an extra set ASAP.

7. Phone Cases

Aside from several different SMU-themed phone cases, the bookstore sells edgy, whimsical phone cases by Sonix. 

8. Greeting Cards

Need to get a greeting card for a holiday or loved one’s birthday? The bookstore is full of quirky Hallmark cards so you can add a bit of SMU flare to all of your well-wishes. 

9. School Spirit Apparel

We all know that the bookstore sells an inordinate amount of SMU-themed apparel, as it should. But the Mustang fanaticism doesn’t stop at outerwear. The bookstore sells everything from face paint and temporary tattoos to hair bows to get you ready for Boulevards and sports games. 

10. Wine and Shot Glasses

The bookstore sells SMU-themed wine glasses, beer mugs, and shot glasses so you can support the Mustangs no matter what you’re drinking.

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

We are the SMU Team.