10 Reasons Why “Gossip Girl” is Still Relevant 10 Years Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Warning: This article contains spoilers. If you haven’t watched it all yet… come on ladies. It came out ten years ago. Just get on it.

Ten years ago on the CW, Serena Van der Woodsen stepped off the train at Grand Central, and our lives were changed forever. On September 19, 2007, the world was introduced to Blair, Serena, Nate, Chuck, Dan and most importantly—”Gossip Girl.” We eagerly followed all of the drama, heartbreak, and fashion, watching the antics of our favorite Upper East Siders each week. They became a part of us, making us all dream of living in a New York penthouse, eating breakfast on the steps of the Met and hearing those three words, eight letters, from a guy as sexy as Chuck Bass. Even ten years later, Gossip Girl continues to be relevant to our lives, and here are ten reasons why:

1. The Fashion: Who hasn’t said, “the main reason I watch ‘Gossip Girl’ is for the fashion?” The outfits on this show were iconic, from Blair’s preppy but stylish looks, to Serena’s boho inspired sultry ensembles. This show is a gold mine of classic looks and fashion inspo.

2. The Drama: Come for the fashion. Stay for the drama. How can you not be hooked? Serena killed a man? A dead parent is secretly alive? An imposter posing as a rich girl for the inheritance? “Gossip Girl” went to extremes to keep audiences engaged and on their toes, and honestly, even now, it’s impossible not to soak it all up.

3. The BFFs: Serena and Blair were the ultimate dynamic duo. Sure they had their differences and fights, but in their best moments, they were ultimate BFF goals. Watching “Gossip Girl” with your best friend to figure out who is S and who is B out of the two of you is a tradition that has been alive since the first episode, and I don’t think it’s going away any time soon.

4. The Boys: It’s unbelievable how hot the guys on this show are. From “golden boy with the beautiful abs” Nate Archibald, to “one sultry look is enough to get you going” Chuck Bass, the main men constantly kept the heat up. Add in some recurring character hotties like Carter Baizen and you’re set for six seasons of enjoyment. Heck, even Rufus brought in some nice “attractive dad” vibes…

5. The Villains: Personally, I lived for the villains on the show. I wanted to see Georgina’s crazy self on screen just to get in on all of the drama. I wanted Jack Bass to try and destroy lives. I wanted Jenny to ruin everything (okay, who am I kidding, I didn’t want that, no one did, but it was still entertaining to watch). The villains of “Gossip Girl” knew exactly which buttons to push, and even now, I find their schemes ridiculously entertaining.

6. The Struggles: The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve appreciated some of the struggles the characters went through. Like when Blair didn’t get into her dream university? Or when Serena tried to get her first job with no experience? Or when Blair tried to balance college and an internship? Sure, the characters still had pretty charmed existences, but they had some of the same issues that I, as a typical college student, have to deal with on the daily. And if Blair Waldorf could get through it, well then so can I.

7. The Fantasy: As I said, these characters lived a super charmed life. The show still holds appeal for giving us all 45 minutes to dream about what it would be like to be an Upper East Sider. Wearing designer clothes, going to countless themed parties, living like you’ll face no consequences? That’s the dream.

8. The Sexiness: “Gossip Girl” lived for being sexually scandalous and risqué. From stripping at a burlesque club to a threesome with a famous actress, the gang wanted to push some boundaries. Even years later, watching the show can still leave you feeling a bit naughty.

9. The City: The creators of “Gossip Girl” wanted New York City to be a character in and of itself. The show was shot on location, so you can watch and really feel like you’re in the greatest city on earth. From classic tourist spots like the Met and the Empire State Building, to subtle but great locations like the Boom Boom Room and Barrio Chino, “Gossip Girl” truly gives the New York experience.

10. The Ending: How can this show not continue to be a part of our lives when we’re all still reeling from that ending?!? Dan is Gossip Girl? That reveal had me feeling all of the emotions, and it still does. And then Serena still ends up with him? Wrapping my head around the finale is still a trial sometimes, so much so that I keep re-watching the show on Netflix… and then starting from the top when I get to the end. While the show may be over, it will never truly end in our hearts. XOXO “Gossip Girl” fanatics, and happy anniversary!

Feature image courtesy of Junkee

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.