This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

There’s no denying it- October is horror movie month! All over Dallas, theaters are pulling out special features, so whether you’re looking for a quirky musical or something to keep you awake all night, this month, there’s sure to be a movie for you.

Courtesy of The Horror Online

“A Nightmare on Elm Street”- “One, two, Freddy’s coming for you.” Wes Craven’s most famous movie isn’t just iconic- it’s downright terrifying. A severely disfigured murderer with knives for hands is hunting down teenagers in their dreams. Fear is keeping them from falling asleep, and the same can be said about you if you watch it. Showing at the Texas Theatre October 16.

“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre”- A cannibalistic clan of hillbilly hitchhikers pick off teenagers one by one. Notable horror villain Leatherface is Texas at its most horrifying. Showing at the Inwood Theatre October 16 and 17. 

“The Visit”- M. Night Shyamalan is back with a movie that will make you think twice about going over to Grandma’s. Two children are dropped at their estranged grandparents’ home, hoping to reunite them with their mother, only to discover some unsettling tendencies going on. Is it dementia, possession, or something much worse? Showing around Dallas.

Courtesy of FlavorWire 

“Rocky Horror Picture Show”- The classic, quirky musical about the transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania is a Halloween staple. Grab a friend, and go sing along to “The Time Warp” and all of your other favorite songs. Showing at the Alamo Drafthouse October 17.

“The Exorcist”- Featuring one of the creepiest little girls in cinematic history, The Exorcist is about several priests’ task to exorcise the devil from an actress’s daughter. Even now, the special effects still have the power to scare just about anyone. Showing at Harkins Theater October 20.

“The Green Inferno”- An homage to The Cannibal Holocaust– a movie so horrifyingly realistic the director was arrested and the movie was banned in most countries- this movie shows the terrors that await when teenagers interfere with Amazonian tribes. Showing around Dallas.

“Crimson Peak”- Guillermo del Toro, director of top horror movie Pan’s Labyrinth, brings us a new haunted house ghost story set in Gothic London. Edith Cushing isn’t just running from ghosts of her past, now she’s running from ghosts in her house. Showing around Dallas.

Courtesy of Screen Crush

“Scream”- The horror movie for all of the horror movie geeks out there. Scream takes all of the classic horror movie clichés (many created by director Wes Craven in his earlier Nightmare on Elm Street) and turns them on their head. Part horror, part satire, it’s sure to entertain. Showing at Sundown at Granada October 21 and 28. 

“Goodnight Mommy”- Creepy twins? Check. Disfiguring accident? Check. Twist ending? Check. This movie shows just how far two boys will go to prove that the bandaged woman who has come home from the hospital is not their real mother. Showing at the Angelika.

Courtesy of Tumblr

“The Shining”- Fans of American Horror Story: Hotel will love one of the original hotel horrors. The Torrance family is alone, taking care of the Overlook Hotel all winter, but with son Danny seeing visions, and father Jack growing more and more unhinged, everyone might not be checking out. Showing at the Magnolia October 27. 

Sydney Fellner is a junior at Southern Methodist University studying art history and arts management, aiming for a career in event planning. A Dallas native, Sydney loves green tea, glitter, and napping. Her most notable accomplishment is watching a video of pugs acting out Beauty and the Beast fifty times in a row. She cried at least half of those times. Instagram: @sydneyfellner
We are the SMU Team.