10 Female Poets You Must Read During National Poetry Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Happy National Poetry Month! We hope your April has been full of awesome allusion, witty wordplay and skillful similes. If it hasn’t, have never fear! We’ve compiled a list of great, modern female poets that you’ll love- even if Emily Dickinson was totally not your fave in high school literature. Sit back, relax and enjoy just how cool poetry has become.

1. “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” star Amber Tamblyn has picked up the pen in recent years and published a book of poems entitled Dark SparklerDon’t believe this actress can also construct some melancholy metaphors? Check it out! 

2. Sarah Kay is widely known for her TED Talk and as an icon for slam poetry among millenials. Her work features ideas about gender, growing up and family. 

3. Rupi Kaur is a Canadian poet and illustrator famous for her book Milk and Honey. 

4. Blythe Baird is a spoken word poet who focuses of issues of feminism, abuse and gender. 

5. Jasmine Mans is a poet who creates spoken word, written and audio works, featuring issues of gender, race and sexuality in the United States. 

6. Olivia Gatwood focuses on collaboration, depictions of women in media, and humor. 

7. Jenny Zhang discusses the human body in funny, and sometimes uncomfortable, ways. 

8. Aja Monet is an award winning artist who combines mediums and often uses music. 

9. Jeanann Verlee is a published poet and writer who also performs spoken word pieces. She focuses on her personal experiences with social issues.  

10. Brenna Twohy composes funny, honest and sometimes heartbreaking works that have won awards. She’s widely regarded as one of the most promising up-and-comers in the world of poetry. 

Grace is a sophmore at SMU. Besides Her Campus, she's a member of the UHP, Sigma Phi Lambda, and the SMU Debate Team. 
We are the SMU Team.