Yes, Please! 6 Important Things We Learned from Amy Poehler’s New Memoir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

Amy Poehler recently released her memoir, joining the ranks of many other wonderful comediennes turned authors, including Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, and Lena Dunham. Yes, Please! includes some valuable life advice, amazing personal stories, and lots of laughs. Here are some important takeaways from the veteran funny woman and freshman author’s book.

Support other women, but always remember to stay true to yourself.

“The motto women should constantly repeat over and over again [is] Good for her! Not for me.”

Amy Poehler is a self-proclaimed “excellent person to be around if you’re having a bad drug trip.”

Her prescription is “a balance of humor and pathos mixed with some light massage and occasional distractions.”

It’s important to find “positive ways you can scare yourself and feel alive.”

Some of Poehler’s suggestions include “tell someone you love them first,” “speak only the truth for a whole week,” and “help people who need help and fight real bad guys.”

Nick Kroll is an adorable boyfriend.

Amy Poehler has always had difficulties sleeping, but her current boyfriend, Nick Kroll, doesn’t mind. “On one of our first nights together I woke up apologizing for snoring and he pulled out the two earplugs he had worn to bed so that he could hear what I was saying. It was one of the most romantic gestures I have ever seen.”

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are exactly the awesome best friends you want them to be.

Poehler’s book includes an acrostic poem sharing her appreciation for Fey, and Poehler refers to Fey as her “comedy wife.”

Stick up for yourself to yourself!

“Sticking up for ourselves in the same way we would one of our friends is a hard but satisfying thing to do. Sometimes it works.” Poehler acknowledges that everyone, even people as amazing as her, often has negative thought about themselves. When these thoughts happen, she suggests looking in the mirror and saying “Hey. Cool it. Amy is my friend. Don’t talk about her like that.”