Fearless, Brave, Amazing: The Ada Comstock Monologues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

Tears. Unabashed crying. Giving no f**ks. Bravery. Fearlessness. Courage. Empowerment. Beauty. Confidence. These were the words that came to mind while viewing and experiencing all that is the Ada Monologues on Saturday, April 18th 2015. This year marked the 40th anniversary of the college’s pioneering program for nontraditional-aged students.

Beautifully empowered women from all walks of life came together to celebrate their individual journeys leading them to the sisterhood that is the Ada Comstock program. From Jan Morris, who embodied her Southern alter-ego and sang out about how she was mullet-proof, to a Smithie’s touching and moving tribute to her parents who taught her the importance of equality in the home and in society. And another student’s anecdote about fish in Bangkok, these non-traditional scholars embodied all that is Smith. Fearless in their monologues and fearless in life, these Ada’s showcased the beauty in change and unconventionality- all their respective paths to Smith were drastically different, whether filled with sorrow, desire to better themselves, broken marriages, or lost loved ones and multiple careers; these Smithies stood together in solidarity: We are here. We are Ada’s, and we are Smithies, through and through.  

Rep Image

Zoe Hildenbrand is a freshman at Smith College, undecided major. She's a twin, feminist, blogger, and new writer at HerCampus:)
Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.