Angela Davis Speaks About Intersectional Feminism at Smith College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

On February 7, 2015 the Smith College Black Students Alliance welcomed Angela Davis to speak to a packed John M. Greene Hall as part of the Young, Gifted, and Black conference.

Davis, a prominent political activist, author, and advocate of abolition feminism, began her address by explaining that feminism involves “embracing but moving beyond gender.” As feminists, we must not only strive to understand how patriarchal forces affect women, but also people of color, education, police violence, the prison-industrial complex, international affairs, economic structures, and almost every other aspect of the modern world.

Referencing a recent New York Times op-ed, Davis spoke about the “interconnectedness of issues of intimate violence and state violence.” She told the story of Marissa Alexander, a domestic violence victim who was sentenced to twenty years in prison after firing a gun into the air to defend herself from her abusive husband. Alexander was found guilty in Florida, the same state that acquitted George Zimmerman in his trial for the murder of Trayvon Martin.

Police violence has recently gained increased media attention, but Davis emphasized that recent events are part of a long history of state violence that reaches back to the era of slavery. Although it can seem intimidating to try to change anything so entrenched in history, Davis encouraged, “Sometimes we have to demand the impossible” and “raise these radical demands knowing that it won’t happen tomorrow, but it may happen down the line.”

In the Q&A segment, led by Professor Riché Barnes, Davis acknowledged that intersectionality can make activism seem overwhelming. She was reluctant to give advice to the young activists in the crowd, but said, “We follow our own passions” but must remain aware of the complicated backdrop.

In the final question, Professor Barnes asked how Davis, who is now 71 years old, stays inspired to continue working towards change. Davis responded simply, “What else could I do?”

Rep Image

Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.