This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Smith chapter.

Whether you’re tanning on Chapin Lawn, or daydreaming about the countless hours you plan on spending at the beach in a few weeks, make sure you bring along a bottle of sunscreen. While you may be striving for that glowing, beach goddess look, sunbathing should be done carefully. Regular sun exposure is good for you and full of vitamin D that helps clear eczema and acne, but that’s a maximum of 10-15 minutes during the sun’s peak hours of 10am to 4pm. Any more time spent unprotected in the sun doesn’t just mean sunburns, but it begins to increase risks of skin cancer and wrinkles.

Cancer.org tell us “skin cancer is the most common of all cancers. It accounts for nearly half of all cancers in the United States. More than 3.5 million cases of basal and squamous cell skin cancer are diagnosed in this country each year. Melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, will account for more than 76,000 cases of skin cancer in 2014.” Women aged 15-39 are the fastest growing age group to develop melanoma! Hopefully that will convince you to put on a little sunscreen. Sunscreen helps prevent burns, but does not prevent cancer. It does however, decrease the risk of getting skin cancer, and therefore should be worn when you’re outside anyway. Take it from a girl whose been sunburnt from being underneath an indoor skylight. Sunburns can happen in the shade, when it’s cloudy, and are easier to get near snow or water because of how the sun reflects.

Here are a few tips to avoid harmful sun exposure:

Kate Barnett writes on Man Repeller to “look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection, an SPF higher than 15, and ingredients that include one of the following: antihelios, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or parasol 1789. It doesn’t need to be expensive to be effective.”

Break out your baseball caps, fedoras, and large-brimmed sunhats when you get outside, and don’t forget sunglasses, because heavy exposure could lead to cataracts as well!

Picking a sunscreen may be a little tricky. Higher SPF isn’t always better, and you may want to choose a sport sunscreen or water resistant for beach days and sports games, but a clear face lotion for walking through the city. A few of my favorite sun lotions are:

Kiehl’s BB Cream Actively Correcting and Beautifying with SPF 50 for the face and Kiehl’s Activated Sun Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50 for body

Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 55 or Neutrogena Sport Face Oil-Free Lotion Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 70+ for face and Neutrogena Beach Defense SPF 70 Spray for body

Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 for face and Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 70 for body

Katrina is the Smith College Her Campus Blog editor. She is a member of the class of 2017 and is studying art history. 
Liberty is the Cofounder of the Smith College branch of Her Campus and a member of the class of 2017. At Smith, Liberty is an economics and medieval studies double major and competes on Smith's equestrian team. Outside of school, she has a talent for sarcasm and baking, and lives for long walks on the beach with her dogs. Liberty hopes that she will one day shatter the glass ceiling and dares anyone to try to stop her.