Why Choosing Saint Michael’s College Was One of the Best Decisions of My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Trying to decide what college to go to can be one of the most stressful experiences of a young person’s life. It seems as though the pressure to decide on a “perfect school” for high school students increases every year and starts at a younger age. I know from experience about how stressful the college application process can be, especially when your friends and peers around you seem to have everything together. From taking standardized tests, to visiting schools, and lastly, applying to colleges and waiting for responses, it seems like a process that is going to go on forever. However, when you receive your first acceptance letter, there is no better feeling than knowing that you got into at least one of the schools you applied to, but what if you get accepted to a handful of colleges that you applied to and cannot decide where to go? Just look at your options, weigh out the pros and cons of each school, and follow your heart. Following your heart is the best piece of advice I can give to any senior in high school when it comes to choosing the school you want to go to. I know that I did that, and I have not looked back since: choosing Saint Michael’s College was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Now I am not trying to recruit all of the upcoming seniors into applying to Saint Michael’s, as it is not for everyone. This being said, it was the best choice for me, yet there were still times before the school year started in which I was not sure if I had made the right choice; I second guessed myself. Many of my friends in high school applied to five or even ten schools, but I only applied to two, which made me feel a little uneasy about my decision. What if I had selected the wrong schools? What if I would not be happy with the choice I made? Second guessing yourself is almost always going to happen, but sometimes you just need to keep moving forward and trust that you have made the right choice. Do not just apply to schools because your friends are thinking about going there and do not worry if you have not decided on a major yet because you still have a few years ahead of you. Deciding on a major just because it is “popular” will not get you anywhere. If you are not passionate about your major, then you will be bored and frustrated with the work you have to do. Selecting a college is a difficult process, let alone picking a major, so just choose the best option for you: not what your family wants, what your friends are doing, or what is the most “popular” at your school. College is a place to discover yourself and to become more independent. Although I am only a freshman and I am still trying to figure things out, I have discovered that I could not have made a better choice than choosing Saint Michael’s College.

Saint Michael’s College was one of the only schools I had looked at when going through the college application process. Call me crazy, which most people probably will, but once I visited the school, I knew it was where I wanted to be. The close-knit community was one of the things that first drew me in, as I knew that I did not want to be in a place where I was just a number. Living close to home was also important to me, but I wanted to live on campus as well, which almost all students do at Saint Michael’s. By living on campus, I have been able to be more involved in different clubs and activities, which is really nice. In high school, I did not do much of that, but I wanted to do things that I enjoyed in college and that could potentially help me in the future. There is so much that Saint Michael’s, and any other college, has to offer, so take advantage of those extracurricular activities. I have also found that living on campus allows me to be more of a social person. I am able to be with my friends almost all of the time, which is a lot different from when I go home. Yet another thing that I love about Saint Michael’s is how close I can be with the professors. If I have any questions or need help with an assignment, I can get in touch with them pretty easily. I have found that Saint Michael’s College is one of the best communities for me. The small size, how close to home it is, and the wide varieties of clubs and activities is amazing!

Although Saint Michael’s College was one of the best decisions in my life, there are so many other colleges out there that will be perfect fits for anyone who wants to go to college. If you find that you do not like the college you are going to, you can always transfer to another school that might be a great fit! The moral of the story is that you should not stress out too much. You have your entire life ahead of you, so if you make a few mistakes here and there, everything will be fine. If you find a school that is as perfect for you as Saint Michael’s is for me, then you have nothing to worry about.

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.