Ways to Spend your Summer in Burlington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Vermont offers so many incredible opportunities for things to do throughout the summer. Planning on sticking around while school is out? Read this list for ideas on cool things to do. And remember, it’s okay to be a tourist!

1.) Get outside.
We’re cooped up inside all winter—take advantage of the amazing weather while you can! Have you ever wondered what the mountains look like when you’re not hitting the slopes? Go for a hike or spend some time camping. Mt. Mansfield offers incredible hikes with amazing views, and Stowe itself has plenty of activities like biking, horseback riding, fishing and swimming. Hang out on the shores of Lake Champlain and go boating or kayaking. For something different, go on a boat tour—the Spirit of Ethan Allen offers daily tours along with themed trips, such as its Murder Mystery dinner cruise: http://www.soea.com/. This option is definitely perfect for family visitors looking for a tourist attraction.

2.) Attend Events. Summer is the best time for Burlington events. The annual Jazz Festival will begin on May 31st and run through the rest of the week until Sunday, June 9th. This lively festival is fun for all ages and packed with the best jazz musicians from all over the state and even the world. Visit http://discoverjazz.com/ to find who is attending and apply to volunteer. The fireworks celebration honoring Independence Day will be on July 3rd at the Waterfront Park from 5pm to 11pm. The 20th annual Brewer’s Festival will start at noon on July 19th at the waterfront, where anyone 21 and up can support local and regional breweries by attending a tasting. Attend the Lake Champlain Maritime Festival from August 15th through 18th to learn about the transformation of Burlington’s waterfront from mostly industrial facilities to now environmentally friendly local business practices. There will be interesting activities like boat building demonstrations as well as local food and music. To round out the summer, head to the Champlain Valley Fair between August 24th and September 2nd at the Champlain Valley Exposition. International pop-star Ke$ha will be headlining as the main event on opening day.

3.) Experience local art and culture. Burlington is home to a huge local art scene, with galleries and exhibitions opening year-round. For an inexpensive option, check out the BCA on Church Street where you can view the latest installations for free. Treat yourself to shows at the Flynn theatre—this summer, be on the lookout for benefit concerts, film screenings at the FlynnSpace, and headlining mainstage shows like MOMIX, “Dreamgirls” and Melissa Etheridge.

4.) Eat good food. Burlington offers some incredible local cuisine, everything from world-famous Ben and Jerry’s to smaller local businesses. The Skinny Pancake, Big Fatty’s BBQ, and the Vermont Pub and Brewery are just three of the various gems you’ll find downtown. No matter what kind of food you’re in the mood for, it’s there. Are you on a budget? Fortunately, the best option will take your wallet the furthest as well—make sure you check out the farmers’ market, which will take place every Saturday from Mother’s Day weekend in May to the last Saturday in October in City Hall Park. Rain or shine, you’ll find plenty of vendors offering a fresh, healthy taste of Vermont.

5.) Explore. Burlington is a beautiful place, but the rest of Vermont has a lot to offer as well—and since school isn’t in session, it will be the perfect time to explore. Return to your childhood and head over to the Teddy Bear Factory in Shelburne, or check out the Cabot Cheese headquarters in Montpelier. Tour Ben and Jerry’s in Waterbury, or try some of the events in Stowe. There are various historical sites throughout the state as well—at the top of my list this summer is a visit to Hildene, the Lincoln family home. Located in Manchester, this mansion was owned by Robert Todd Lincoln and passed over generations until 1975. It’s an interesting historical area, and I’ve heard that the summer gardens are spectacular.

However you plan on spending your time, you’ll probably come out of this season with tons of fun memories. So, pack a bag, grab some sunscreen, and have an amazing Vermont summer!

Lauren Kopchik is a HC SMCVT Photo Blog Editor and Contributing Writer. She is a current sophomore at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, VT, majoring in Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts with minors in Environmental Studies and Creative Writing.
Lauren Mazzoleni is a junior at Saint Michael's College where she majors in Digital Arts, Media Studies, and Journalism and minors in Psychology. Lauren and Alexandra Brenock are the two campus correspondents for Saint Michael's HC Branch. At Saint Michael's, she is a student blogger, a tour guide, and a disc jockey at WWPV 88.7 FM. Many of her friends would say that when she is not busy attending her classes or working on HC articles, you could find her watching many of the shows she always DVRs (Glee, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc), shopping on Church Street in downtown Burlington, and hanging out with her friends from Saint Michael's and from her hometown in NH.