This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

When thinking of plaid as a fashion statement, it’s hard not to think of your grandpa at Christmas time dressed in his festive fleece flannel thinking that it is appropriate for the holiday season. It’s also hard not to think of the punk phase that we all inevitably went through in middle school when we thought wearing plaid skirts was a rebellious move.  But it’s 2013 and plaid is back in a big, neutral way, and it seems as though it has a new name: tartan.

The tartan trend has taken over designer’s lines and runways by storm with their crisp lines and multi-colored pattern, spicing up pairs of pants and dresses in unseen ways.  This is not your old black and red checked skirt from middle school, tartan is grown-up and sophisticated just begging to be worn on your route to classes.

From Zara, to Topshop, to Brandy Melville, tartan is everywhere.  It comes in the form of mini-skirts, fitted pants, jackets, dresses, boyfriend coats and shirts alike.  The most used color palette being used seems to be dark blues, blacks, burgundy and emerald green, but not together of course! The great thing about the range of colors that these items come in is that there is something for everyone. Whether you’re channeling your inner tom-boy in a tartan boyfriend coat or keeping it classy in a tartan dress and collared jacket, tartan can be dresed up or down depending on your stlye circumstances.

Another great thing about “plaid” being back is that it is an effortless way to get creative with your outfit without trying too hard.  It’s a neutral way to make a big statement and also look classy while doing so.  Another great thing about tartan is that it most likely won’t stray too far from your personal style.  Whether preppy or punk there is a cut and hue of tartan just right for you if paired with your normal apparel. 

So go on now! Pick up some tartan because you do not want to miss this trend!