This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Did someone say they were single for Valentine’s Day and wanted to celebrate by listening to a bad ass album??? Well you came to the right place, because Kehlani absolutely SMASHED her newest album titled “SweetSavageSexy”. It is flames from the first song to the last. Honestly I don’t think I would choose three other words to describe myselfl. Kehlani is a 21 year old singer and songwriter from Oakland California, she dropped her first album in 2014 and a star was born. Her next album was entitled “You Should Be Here”, which includes the song “The Way” featuring a verse from Chance the Rapper, a personal favorite of mine.

On January 27th, Kehlani graced the world with her newest album, and my life was changed. There are no features on this album which is f***ing badass as a female artist to have only your voice heard and I think that was her entire purpose with this album. Kehlani seems to rock every look she tries and makes unbelievably good music. Have you ever wanted to feel like the baddest bitch ever? Okay, throw this album on shuffle and enjoy. I decided to just share my top 6 favorite tracks. Check out the whole album on Spotify! And remember you don’t need a Valentine, you’re too good for that. This playlist is for Elis, you’re a boss, his loss.

(Check out Kehlani breaking down the lyrics to another song on the album “Distraction” here)

1.  Intro

The album starts with a “song” called “Intro” and this is when I knew this album was going to be amazing. Her album starts with Reyna Biddy, a black poet musician, reading what sounds like a poem about herself, it begins with an apology…

“My condolences to anyone who has ever lost me

And, to anyone who got lost in me

Or, to anyone who ever felt they took a loss with me

My apologies for the misunderstanding or the lack thereof

I’m sorry you missed the God in me

And I’m sorry you missed the light

I’m sorry you forgot the way I arose like the moon

Night after night with the burden to forgive

Eager to feed you everything”

Like DAMNNNNN, you tell that boy. Sorry you ever lost ME, we should all have this attitude when someone walks out of our lives. She also calls herself a god, which is totally badass.

“I’m afraid you’re under the impression

That I was made to please you

I was under the impression you understood me better

The truth is, I’m a superwoman

And some days I’m an angry woman

And some days I’m a crazy woman

For still waiting, for still loving harder even if I’m aching

For still trusting that I’m still worth the most

For still searching for someone to understand me better”

Reminder: women weren’t made to please men, never forget that. Then she really gets you by calling herself crazy and angry, but not for why you would think. She calls herself this for continuing to get hurt while still hopelessly searching for love, we all know the struggle.

2.  Advice

This is my personal favorite on the album because the chorus absolutely BANGS.

“’Cause how is the man of my dreams not a man of his words?

And how is the man for me just a man that makes me hurt?”

I think we’ve all felt this way at one point, confused at how someone you care and love could treat you like shit. Sometimes they just don’t see what they have, not your fault! Then Kehlani realizes she needs to take her own advice and leave him. You go girl

(Damn, she’s even rocks long hair)

3. Too Much

Arguably one of my favorite songs ever. I have never felt like girls run the world more than after listening to this song. This beat makes you wanna dance and then break someone’s heart.

“I’m too much of a woman

Too much of a woman

Too much of a bad ass bitch

Too much of a boss, baby, it’s your loss

Now you gotta live with it”

Kehlani knows she’s wayyyyy too good for this guy, but also says she knows she isn’t what he needs, but definitely what he wants. Playing so many games, I love it.

4. CRZY

This is the first single off of SweetSexySavage and Kehlani SLAYS you immediately with the opening line being “If I gotta be a bitch, I’ma be a bad one”. OHHHH YAAAA GIRL. “Only L I take is to the face” this girl literally doesn’t take any L’s (for those of you out there who don’t know what L she is referring to, it’s a weed thing don’t worry) Watch Kehlani perform the song here, her dance moves are 100.

5. In My Feelings

Kehlani is writing about a relationship that’s just run its course and she realizes that she’s only sticking around because they’ve been together for so long.

“Why you got me so obsessed with you?

Why you got me wasting time laying next to you?

Why do you tell me, “Come over”

To watch you just stare at your phone?”

Every girl has felt like this, a boy tells you to come hang out then COMPLETELY ignores you….like okay why the f*** am I here right now? “You don’t do the shit that you said would be done/You find it fun, to feel shit and run”. Boys, don’t catch feelings and run, that’s rude as f***.

Until next time, stay Sweet, Sexy and Savage

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you have red hair. People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is" -Anne of Green Gables
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.