This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Most Saint Mike’s students live on campus; however, this week’s Campus Cutie makes commuting work! Although he might not admit it, Ryan is one of the nicest and friendliest people you will ever meet (I might be biased). Learn more about Ryan and how much he’s dedicated to his education, work, and friends!

Hometown: Williston, VT

Major: Pre-Pharmacy

YOG: 2019

Her Campus: What is it like living off-campus/commuting?

Ryan Lackey: Although I don’t know what it’s like to live on campus, I really do enjoy living off campus. I have a lot of freedom and control of my space. It does take a lot of my time commuting to and from campus. Commuting makes it hard when I want to go back to school to study with friends or to work on a group project.

HC: Why did you choose SMC?

RL: I chose Saint Michael’s College because I wanted to stay in Vermont, but my issue was that Vermont does not have any pharmacy schools. When I learned that Saint Mike’s and the Albany College of Pharmacy, in Colchester, had a linked program it worked out perfectly. Toward the end of high school, I thought about applying somewhere farther away, but I’m really happy at Saint Mike’s, so I’m glad I made the decision to come here.

HC: What do you do in your free time/do you have any hobbies?

RL: Being in the Pre-Pharmacy program here at Saint Mike’s I don’t have a lot of free time, but with the free time I do have I work. I work at the University of Vermont Medical Center in the outpatient pharmacies. I think my job is incredible, it applies to what I want to do in my career and the other pharmacy technicians and pharmacists are so kind and helpful in the learning process. But, this winter, with any other free time I’ve had, I have been skiing with some of my great new friends from Saint Mike’s!

HC: Where’s your favorite place to be on campus?

RL: My favorite place on campus is the Dion Student Center. It’s such a nice, modern space, and it’s a great place to get work done when I have breaks in between classes. 

HC: Favorite thing to get at Einstein’s?

RL: My favorite things to get at Einstein’s are a medium roast coffee and a French toast bagel with plain cream cheese…my kind of lunch!

HC: Advice you’d give to incoming freshmen?

RL: My advice to any incoming freshmen is to focus only on your classes, at least the first semester. Getting a feel for how much work your classes takes and what work you have to put into all your classes to get the grades you want is so important. This knowledge will carry through with you for the following semesters and than you can add clubs, work, or other activities into your schedule with your knowledge of what your schedule will be like first. 

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.