jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Podcasts: The Entertainment You’ve Been Missing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Let’s face it: a lot of entertainment isn’t free in today’s world. Most people pay for Netflix or Hulu, a lot of college students pay for their own music streaming service (Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc.), and everyday more platforms are coming out with ‘premium’ versions of their product (Youtube Red, anyone?). While that is all well and good, we can’t pay (or at least I certainly can’t) for all of those. That being said, there is a FREE media platform I feel is often overlooked by college students– podcasts.

Podcasts cover an extremely wide range of media genres. Available in the iTunes store (and many other places), you have free access to radio dramas, politics and news, real investigative journalism, comedy, true crime narratives, advice, and so much more. In addition to that, because they have no visual aspect to them, you can listen to them while doing homework! Also, if you have a long commute when driving (or flying!) home for a long weekend, these will be your saviour. A particularly good true crime podcast is the only thing that got me through a recent twelve hour flight home.

To those totally new to podcasts, it can be an intimidating place given how many options there are, so below you can find a few recommendations, and to those who are more consistent listeners– here are some you might want to check out!

1. This American Life

As possibly the most consistently popular podcast in the country, if you have heard of any of these podcasts, it is likely this one. A teacher or professor has probably assigned one to you in the past because of the unique way this podcast examines the human condition. According to its website, “It is produced in collaboration with Chicago Public Media, delivered to stations by PRX The Public Radio Exchange, and has won all of the major broadcasting awards.” In each individual podcast episode, usually running about an hour long and hosted by Ira Glass, there are multiple stories centered around a central theme. As a possible starting point, here are two particularly captivating episodes which are available to stream for free on their website: Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde, and No Coincidence, No Story!

2. NPR Politics Podcast

As a Political Science major, I am expected to keep up with a lot of different news that is constantly evolving. In addition to reading many different online newspapers, the commentary provided by this group of NPR journalists is priceless. They give context to current events that I have had a hard time finding anywhere else, and being able to listen to a group of interesting journalists with varying perspectives makes sometimes dry events more captivating. If you feel like Facebook’s newsfeed is overwhelming to the point of confusion, let this group of journalists help to clarify major weekly news events.

3. Dear Hank and John

Hosted by popular author John Green of The Fault in Our Stars fame and his brother Hank Green an entrepreneur, self described “internet guy” and host of the popular SciShow on Youtube these very different brothers give dubious advice, answer questions, and give weekly updates on Mars (yes, the planet) and the soccer team AFC Wimbledon. While a sense of dark humor is required to find this comedy podcast funny, if you posses that, I guarantee you will enjoy what the two brothers often dub “a comedy podcast about death.” The questions can range from “Why do farts smell worse in the shower?” to “Am I a sucker for not cheating in school?”

4. Serial

If you are at all a fan of true crime, from Making a Murderer (available on Netflix) to trashy daytime TV shows, you will enjoy this podcast. Outside of that, if you have an interest in our justice system, you might want to check this out. In the first season of the show, listeners hear NPR reporter Sarah Koenig tell a decades old story of a young man, accused of his ex-girlfriend’s murder, who has maintained his innocence. This podcast will make you think you know exactly what happened all those years ago, and the next minute make you question your entire theory. You will think he is guilty. You will think he is innocent. There is no way to know where you stand at the end unless you listen.

5. Accused

As wonderful as Serial is, a lot of people have already listened to it. If you have, here is another well reported crime true narrative. According to the website, it tells the story of Elizabeth Andes, who “…was found murdered in her Ohio apartment in 1978, [after which] police and prosecutors decided within hours it was an open-and-shut case. Two juries disagreed. The Cincinnati Enquirer investigates: Was the right guy charged, or did a killer walk free?” This case will make you appreciate the modern day use of DNA in investigations, and also make you a little bit more apprehensive about police investigations (or a least how they used to be carried out).

6. Revisionist History

According to its website, Revisionist History “…goes back and reinterprets something from the past: an event, a person, an idea. Something overlooked. Something misunderstood,” over the course of ten 30-40 minute episodes. A favorite of mine is titled “Generous Orthodoxy,” and tells the story of a 98-year old minister who confronts his church of the issue of same-sex marriage.

7. Stuff You Should Know

One of the most popular podcasts downloaded every week, Stuff You Should Know covers topics from “How Dictators Work” to “How Monty Python Worked.” It is hosted by Chuck Bryant and Josh Clark, two men who go above and beyond to research with their team in order to fully explain the way a lot of things we take for granted in everyday life actually works. They have covered topics from HIV/AIDS, Alexander Hamilton, grave robbing, artificial sweetners, and so much more.

8. Reveal

I will show my bias on this one– this is my favorite podcast of all time. It is produced by the Center for Investigative Reporting (CIR) and the Public Radio Exchange (PRX), and is a weekly updated podcast which usually runs about an hour long. This podcast provides actual investigative journalism (not opinion pieces, not current event synopses), which is a quickly dying breed of much needed journalism in today’s world. As stated on the website, “The mission of [CIR] is to engage and empower the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling in order to spark action, improve lives and protect our democracy.” Two of my favorite episodes are “If you can’t afford a lawyer,” and “The man inside: Four months as a prison guard.” If you only try one of these podcasts, please let it be this one.

Sources:

Image Credit: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wesa/files/styles/x_large/public/201301/tal.jpg

Image Credit: https://www.nprpresents.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Podcast_2_of_2.jpg-1024×682.jpg

Image Credit: CHvk0bxWgAAzkg5.png

Image Credit: 4221396001_4739442473001_4739182522001-vs.jpg

Image Credit: 636108317047441592-Accused-Teaser-with-Reporters-Email.png

Image Credit: maxresdefault.jpg

Image Credit: stuff you should know podcast 400px.jpg

Image Credit: reveal-cir-prx-logos-600dpi.png

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.