Patty Kohn: The Woman of Many Talents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Picture this- it’s move in day, people are bustling in and out of Joyce hall. Through the crowds of people you accidently bump into an energetic blonde- who just so happens to be one of your closest friends, hall mates and supporters. Patty Kohn is more than just a blonde though- let me tell you- she is smart, energetic, an amazing friend, a “mom” (shout out to j3), an amazing singer (catch her belting the national anthem at swim meets next winter) and an incredible athlete which is why Her Campus was fortunate to sit down and talk to her about her freshman year.

Her Campus: What is your major?

Patty Kohn: Bio major on the pre med track with minors in music and chem

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

PK:  I’m a member of the honors program, the women’s swimming and diving team, the drama club, her campus treasurer and writer, and a writer for the odyssey online. I also take voice lessons and have performed in a few recitals on campus.

HC: What are some of the greatest lessons you learned freshman year of college?

PK: The biggest thing I’ve learned this year is don’t be afraid to change your mind and try something new. When I first came to Saint Michaels I was really set in on being a theatre and music double major, however I completely switched what I’m doing and decided to go pre med, which is something that I never thought I would do. Also, don’t be afraid to do things by yourself. I love my friends and I’m so grateful for them because they’ve gotten me through the tough times and been by my side to enjoy the fun times, but you also should balance your time so that you can get to know yourself.

HC: What is your favorite meal in alliot?

PK:  Easily a fried egg with cheese on an everything bagel. It’s always consistently good and it goes really well with the caramel swirl coffee or some green tea with honey.

HC: If you could go back in time to any era- what era would you choose and why?

PK: I think if I had to go back in time I would go to the 20’s. I think it would be really cool to see the music and jazz scene. As well as see what it would have been like to be a flapper.

HC: What is your advice to the incoming underclassmen?

PK: My advice to an underclassmen would be to just enjoy every second you have. I can’t believe that my first year is coming to an end but I’m also really excited to see what’s going to come next. Take advantage of ALL of the opportunities that you are given because you never know where it’s going to take you. I guess another thing I want to add is don’t dwell on anything for too long. Things in college won’t always go your way, but that’s part of the experience and probably the best way to learn and improve yourself.