An Open Letter to My High School Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Dear High School Self,

I know. You already know what you’re doing and you don’t need anyone’s help. I understand your point, believe me. I am not asking for much. You don’t even need to take this advice but please give me a few minutes and hear me out.

High school is a time of change. Whether you want to or not, you will change. You will make decisions and choices that will either build you up or tear you down. But don’t let those choices define you. If you mess up, own it. Embrace your mistakes and understand why they happened but don’t let them turn into a habit. Mistakes are easy to fix- habits are hard to break.

High School is a time to make mistakes so don’t try so hard. Focus on figuring yourself out and actually studying for your math midterm rather than straightening your hair and trying to squeeze into size zero jeans. And when you fail that math midterm, get help. Befriend your math teacher. Give yourself time to learn and relearn material. Nothing happens overnight.  Don’t let your failures decide your future as a student.

Although I know school is probably the least of your worries right now. You are fully focused on getting a date to prom, attending that party, and whatever boy sits behind you in english class. But let me remind you, that boy behind you does not define your worth. You are so much more than him and his opinion of you. You are strong, you are smart and more importantly, you are independent. Concentrate on yourself right now. And that party that you have to go to probably isn’t worth lying to your parents about. So go hangout with your friends. Go drive around with the music blasting. Those are the memories you’ll look back on. And prom— it’s over rated anyways so stop stressing.  

And when you think your life is finally starting to fall into place, you are reminded of the college process. Suddenly the only thing that matters is what you get on your SATs or where you will apply. But hold on. Take a breath. Use your resources and remember that everything happens for a reason. Sure, that’s cliche, but you will end up where you are supposed to end up and nothing about college is permanent. Don’t stress about the things you can’t control.

And before you know it, high school is over and you’ll find yourself lying on the field with your best friends reminiscing about the good and bad memories that place holds. But that’s all it is, a memory. During the last four years, you somehow changed. You evolved and here you are about to venture on a whole new journey. Your life is different now, whether you like it or not. So cherish those moments and embrace the change. You can’t choose the life you have, so you might as well embrace it. These will be some of the best and worst days of your life. But if I could go back, I would remind myself to love my town, to love my life and cherish the moments because before you know it, you’ll blink and they’ll be nothing but a memory to look back on. Focus on what really matters and don’t forget to make it count.

xoxo