Not All Heroes Wear Capes, Some Wear Jerseys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Mental illness is something that is way too often pushed beneath the rug. However, people everywhere struggle with different mental health issues and with pressures rising on college students and athletes, the topic needs to be addressed and understood. It is hard to break the silence; however, here at Saint Michael’s College, there is some hope. Junior hockey players, Justin McKenzie and Danny Divis created that hope for all those struggling students and athletes. Her Campus was fortunate enough to sit down with the co-founders of Hope Happens Here.

Her Campus: What are your majors?

Danny Divis: Double Major in Secondary Education and English

Justin McKenzie: Information Systems Major

HC: What is Hope Happens Here?

JM: A new movement that was started over the summer to remove the stigma of mental health issues on college campuses, specifically amongst college athletes.

DD: Hopefully it will be expanded farther than just college athletes.

HC: If you could spend the day with one person (fictional, nonfictional, dead or alive) who would it be and why?

JM: Michael Scott from the Office.

DD: Holden Caufield because I really sympathize with him and the Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book.

HC: What is your favorite thing that Saint Michael’s College has to offer?

DD: I love the “small school feel” because you can interact with the faculty and people notice you. If this school didn’t have such a small school feel then Hope Happens Here might not have even been noticed. I love that people know your name.

HC: If you could tell your freshman year self something what would it be?

JM: You probably could’ve skipped a few of those “Wings Over” Burlington orders.

DD: Don’t grow up.

HC: What does hockey mean to you and how has it helped you start Hope Happens Here?

DD: Hockey is my first love and JMac’s too. I’ve never loved anything like I’ve loved hockey and I am scared to be almost done with competitive hockey. But hockey has taught me a lot about life. It is one big family. Hockey helped us with Hope Happens Here because it started with wanting to a mental health awareness game for JMac’s friend and it spread from there. We are trying to give a platform for younger kids to relate to. It is just about starting the conversation and offering support through friendship but also knowing when you need to seek professional help.

Title Credits: Neva Callaghan