Meet This Fantastic First-Year: Monica Austin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Learn more about this week’s Campus Cutie, Monica Austin. This friendly first-year student almost always has a smile on her face. Her humor (and sarcasm) brings laughter to others as well. 

Hometown: Lisbon Falls, ME

Major: Psychology major

YOG: 2019

Her Campus: Why did you choose Saint Michael’s College?

Monica Austin: I wanted to go to a small school where everyone would know everyone, and the professors would know me by name. I wanted to feel like I was someone when walking around campus and not just another face. SMC just had such an inviting and community-based feel to it and I wanted to be a part of a school where I would be remembered and have a true home away from home. 

HC: What do you do in your free time/do you have any hobbies?

MA: I love softball and being outside! I do yoga to relax and feel good about myself. In my free time I’m finding movies to watch on Netflix or watching “reruns” of TV shows on Netflix!

HC: Where’s your favorite place to be on campus?

MA: Definitely the loft on the third floor of Dion! It’s always so warm and cozy up there with those big armchairs and quiet enough to do homework, but I will admit I’ve almost fallen asleep up there for those same reasons!

HC: Favorite meal from the dining hall?

MA: BBQ Ribs and mashed potatoes!! Unless warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream counts!

HC: Advice you’d give to incoming freshmen?

MA: Don’t try too hard and don’t worry too much! This first year is all about getting adjusted and finding out who you really are and becoming the person that you’ve always wanted to be but were too nervous or maybe didn’t even know you could be before! If things aren’t going the way you planned, don’t worry, because you’re just one of the hundreds of people here going through the same feeling! You’re not alone! Just roll with the punches and eventually everything will work itself out.  Just be patient and open to every new person, experience, opportunity that comes your way! 

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.