Living Every Week Like it’s Shark Week: Caitlin Shea-Vantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

When you first meet Caitlin Shea-Vantine, don’t be surprised if she greets you with the biggest smile and bear hug you’ve ever received. Cait and I lived on the same floor last year during our first year at Saint Mike’s and she’s one of the biggest rays of sunshine radiating around campus. Involved in many extracurricular activities, she still finds time to spend with her friends, and of course, keep up with her academics. She does it all, but like the lyrics in “She’s a Lady,” ‘she’s got style, she’s got grace, she’s a winner.’

Cait’s description of her first year rings true. Twenty seven girls lived in our hallway last year, and we called ourselves the “wolf pack”, an inside joke from a presentation made during the fall. Cait explains, “I was so blessed to have met some of the loveliest girls on campus. We had a ton of fun together, but also were there for one another which was comforting”. The cherry on top of Cait’s year was when her friends threw her a surprise birthday party. Cait is one of the most selfless people I know, so it’s easy to note why a celebration was held in her honor.

I asked Cait how she has grown since her freshman year and she said, “I think I am the same height…but as an individual, I would say I have taught myself to become more vulnerable, which has allowed me to make more personal connections with other people and to grow as an individual.” During her first year, Cait got to know many professors and discovered her love for Biology and English. Also serving as the Vice President for the class of 2015, she found her place within the Student Association, as well as MOVE, the volunteering organization at Saint Mike’s. Cait helps shape Saint Mike’s to become the best it can be for all students. This year she is a tour guide, Co-Secretary of Programming on the E-board for the SA, and is a part of the MOVE Core Team, working specifically with Special Events. Prospective students watch out; Cait will greet you with one of the warmest hello’s you’ve ever received, and will share some of the most entertaining stories along the way.

Besides academics and extracurricular activities, how else is there to describe Cait? Her motto is “Live every week like it’s shark week”. Funny enough, this describes her percectly as she is passionate and full of life. She is humble and finds good in everyone and everything. She describes herself as “thoughtful, funny, and friendly,” though, as a friend, there are many more adjectives to describe the rare, dynamic, caring, and enthusiastic Caitlin Shea-Vantine. She credits her family members and friends to have gotten her where she is today. She says, “They literally make me a better person every day. Their love and encouragement inspires me daily. They have taught me so many life lessons- to be courageous, to love with compassion, to take time to listen, and to use my gifts. My list is endless. There are many people that I am grateful to have in my life, who inspire me to reach new heights.” Cait, without a doubt, will be reaching new heights within her lifetime. It’s not without any challenges, however. She’s faced adversity, anxiety, and things out of her control. With her quintessential “Cait” attitude, she sees challenges as opportunities. She loves the self-fulfillment that comes out of the process, like she says, “Half the battle is the mindset”.

Cait is an eloquent individual, and I am honored to be one of her friends. She is a great support system, and will open her ears and heart to listen to anyone’s problems. One of her long-term goals is to live a life she is proud of, and I believe she is well on her way. The best advice Cait’s ever received went a little something like this, “You need to realize the astonishing light of your own being. Only then can you love the whole world like you want to.” Cait has a heart full of love and I can only say, “Cait, make the wolfpack proud!”

Alex is a junior at Saint Michel's College and is pursuing a degree in business administration. Alex is from Massachusetts but loves beautiful Vermont (minus the freezing cold, snowy winters)! She loves being involved on campus - besides running the Saint Mike's Branch of Her Campus, she is a tour guide and blogger for her college and a mentor to a second-grader. Alex plans on studying-abroad in Ireland and would love to move to Boston or New York City after graduation. She is uber passionate about social media and marketing and hopes to attend business school in the future. In her free time, Alex enjoys baking, taking naps, going to the movies with friends, and telling jokes about pirates.