Lessons from Our Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

As kids, we would naturally, however not intentionally, seek out great challenges through our curiosity about the world around us. We wanted to know everything, just for the sake of knowing it. We annoyed our parents with trivial inquiries, but would, on occasion, generate a question not even they could answer. As we got older we realized that the answers to such questions are not so easily attained. And sometimes the pursuit of such a thought can be taxing and may not always give us what we were looking for in the first place.

I’ve noticed that as we get older and become accustomed to the competitive education system, we are trained to learn, not through the lens of curiosity, but within a tight system of requisites. We are rewarded with high marks for cramming information into our minds just prior to exam time in order to brain dump it all onto a piece of paper for about an hour. After this time, if the class is not cumulative in nature, we often purge all ideas we generated about the topic, so as to fill this space with subsequent material. It seems like this is the most efficient way of learning around a college campus– but can we really call it learning? Are we making speculations and engaging with the lesson for the sake of knowledge or for the sake of good grades? I think it would be wise for us to let ourselves slip back into our childhood mindset and allow ourselves to think about things without some inherent reward or consequence attached to it. We need to allow curiosity to be the driver of our education and remember that competition has no rightful place in our mental growth.

Article Photo Source :

http://www.promiseprenatal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/How-to-Help-Yo…

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.