Lessons in LinkedIn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It seems that the minute you send in your college deposit the question on everyone’s mind becomes: What do you want to be when you grow up?

For some, the answer is easy: lawyer, doctor, or journalist. For others, the vision for their future is fuzzier. No matter what side of the aisle you are sitting on, luck favors the prepared and we could all use a little bit of that on the job hunt.

For the purposes of job hunting, LinkedIn, the professional social network, should be square one in creating an online presence. It provides a platform for you to display yourself in a professional manner. Recruiters can view your past work experience, education, and recommendations. Despite the clear layout LinkedIn provides, you can make mistakes when getting started. In a world where everyone demands perfection (even though Miley Cyrus tells us that everybody makes mistakes), having an online resume you are proud of is essential.

Here are a few tips to take your resume from cheap to chic!

1) It’s all about image.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what does your profile picture say about you? I’m not saying you need to go out and have professional pictures taken. Grab your friend with a camera–not an iPhone–and a solid colored wall. Your profile picture is your first impression, so put on a clean dress shirt and do your hair and make-up. Snap several pictures, so you have options.

Do not use that “selfie” you took in the 300’s last weekend. It’s blurry, pixilated, and says, “I don’t know when partying is acceptable because I shared it on my resume!”

2) Don’t get short with me.

99% of the time you don’t want to be short with employers. Here is the exception. Resumes are a place to brag about you, but be succinct. People’s attention spans are shrinking by the second and resume stacks are piled high. Sell yourself in short sentences with descriptive and natural language.

3) Be easy.

Easy to find, that is. You don’t have to have a premium account, but you should make sure that your resume is on public display. This way, potential connections can read about your accomplishments and job experience. Give them a reason to connect with you. Privacy isn’t something you strive for when creating an online resume; it should be shared with the world.

Feeling unsure about your LinkedIn profile? Search for the profile of someone you aspire to be. For example, if you are interested in becoming an editor-in-chief for Seventeen magazine, check out Ann Shoket’s profile. We are supposed to dress for the job we want, not the job we have. The same should apply to your online resume. Put your best foot forward. Good luck!

Photo Source: http://smashingresumes.com/lin…

Alex is a junior at Saint Michel's College and is pursuing a degree in business administration. Alex is from Massachusetts but loves beautiful Vermont (minus the freezing cold, snowy winters)! She loves being involved on campus - besides running the Saint Mike's Branch of Her Campus, she is a tour guide and blogger for her college and a mentor to a second-grader. Alex plans on studying-abroad in Ireland and would love to move to Boston or New York City after graduation. She is uber passionate about social media and marketing and hopes to attend business school in the future. In her free time, Alex enjoys baking, taking naps, going to the movies with friends, and telling jokes about pirates.