This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Defying the odds, tackling obstacles, conquering fears, this is the story of a girl who got the Mumps…Vaccine! This may not sound like a heroic tale for some, but it was quite the accomplishment for me. I would consider myself a pretty brave gal, but when it comes to needles, you’ll catch me hysterically laughing which is my version of totally freaking out. Now if you saw me you’d be confused because I have quite a few piercings, but each one has a story of me screaming nonsense and grabbing any hand in site. What can I say, I like the look of them. But shots are a whole new level, as many of you know S’mikes has got a case of the mumps, and being a mentor and someone who gets sick very easily, I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

There’s just something about strange liquids getting injected into me that makes me just totally bug out. Luckily I had the nurses Mary and Joan…I don’t know if that was actually their names but they sure looked like a Mary and Joan. I immediately told them that needles and I do not mix well and they were totally helpful and understanding. They just sat me down, had me fill out some things that looking back I probably should’ve actually read (tell the fam I love them if I accidentally sold my soul), and just asked me about my life. And when that oh so wonderful time came Joan made sure I couldn’t even see the needle and Mary held both of my hands and told me a story about them having to an elementary school and giving tetanus shots which I was a little confused about first, but then realized what she was doing and tearfully thanked her. Joan said it wouldn’t hurt as much as other shots cause it doesn’t go into muscle and right she was. Yeah, there was still pain, but minimal tears, and no mumps! I also felt like I really bonded with Mary and Joan so honestly W’s all around. Yeah, I’m still not a fan of needles, but our relationship status is for sure looking up. Later Mumps!

“No Mumps, No Mumps, No Mumps, No Mumps” to the tune of ‘My Humps’