This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Meet Justin Salls! Justin is one of the leaders of the most talked about new club on campus, Active Minds. Justin is one of the nicest guys on SMCVT campus, always willing to offer a kind word and helping hand! 

1) What is your major/ minor?

My major is psychology and I’m currently about to pick up a Gender Studies minor. 

2) Could you tell us more about Active Minds and how you got involved?

Active minds is a national organization dedicated to getting rid of mental health stigmas. We want to start a conversation and we want people to recognize that these people are just like you and me, they are going through some hard times. We’re hoping to provide opportunities where anyone can come and talk to us with any problem they are having, and help lead them to the right services that can help them. We also want to provide opportunities where students can come and relieve stress or even come to learn about mental health awareness so you can be prepared if an issue comes up in your daily life.  I personally got involved with this program because I was in this organization called student support network where we learned how to help other students with mental health problems as well has learning how to be a good friend by listening to our students and recognizing what is happening to these people.

3) What are qualities that you think to have as a leader?

As a leader I think I am outgoing, and I don’t usually have an issue talking to people. I am very friendly and approachable and I want to help people out. I really enjoy helping others!

4) Any tips for those interested in starting up a club?

You probably want to find people who share an interest about what you’re doing and be willing to show people what you are about! You want to be well know and be willing to show people this is an issue or activity that should be on this campus.

5) Any fun facts you’d like the Her Campus readers to know about you? 

I really enjoy the outdoors, I love fishing and hunting with my dad and I wish I could do it more often in college. Also, my friends that I have made here at Saints Mike’s and friends from back home are the most important people in my life. They have helped me through a lot and I couldn’t of asked for better people to be friends with over the years.

Vice President of Editorial Staff SMCVT who loves to make people's day with a smile :)