How to Get Affordable Halloween Fashions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s October, and you know what that means, collegiettes! It’s time to start planning for one of the best weekends of the year…Halloween! This is your chance to be anything you want, whether that’s a classic witch or a sexy sailor. The only catch: we’re on a college budget. This doesn’t mean you should look any less fabulous, though! Here are some tips & tricks on how to get that awesome costume for much, much less.

Option #1- DIY

Last year, I had my heart set on being a Grecian goddess with my friends. The only problem was, of course, the costumes ranged anywhere from $30-$60…no thank you! So, it was time to get a little crafty. DIY (Do-It-Yourself) costumes are sooo in. (Can you say Pinterest?!) All it took to become a Grecian goddess was a white t-shirt, ribbon from a craft store, and some vines (cut from the side of Ryan Hall) to wear on our heads! Cutting up a t-shirt into a dress and tying gold ribbon around it? Fabulous AND cheap! No purchase of actual costumes (or even pieces of costumes) necessary! You can do this with just about anything: a crayon, a bunny, or even a Starbucks cup. The choices are endless, which is why it’s our #1 option…just make sure to channel that inner creativity that you know you have, ladies!

Option #2- Piece-it-together

Alright, so I’ll be the first to admit, some things are just a little too hard to re-create. Tutus or lace & sequin masks? Yeah…not going to happen. The solution? Shop smart, and only buy one or two legitimate costume pieces! If you want to be a ballerina, use a tight pink shirt of your own or a friend’s and pair it with that cheap tutu you picked up at Old Gold off of Church Street. Old Gold is a thrift/vintage costume shop with absolutely every costume you could ever think of. A tutu from there would cost around $20, but hey, that’s a bargain when you don’t have to pay for any other part of the costume! If this funky little shop has you a little nervous, head over to Urban Outfitters and pick up a pair of cat ears (complete with crystals) for around $15. Thinking cheaper? Charlotte Russe (in the Burlington Town Mall) has masks, hats, and all sorts of Halloween accessories, almost all of which are under $10! The piece-it-together technique combines the best of both: buying the essentials and making or using what you already have to save money on the rest!

Option #3- Cheap & Complete

We all have our quirks, and if you’re a Halloween “snob,” nothing but all-new will do. That’s ok, because there are still ways to shop for a completely new costume without breaking the bank. First, check out Rite Aid or any other local drugstore. They always have a section of Halloween costumes and candy during the month of October. Spencer’s (in the Burlington Town Mall) also has some cheap costumes, like the sailor or bunny, for around $15. Too limited of a selection? Sale shop at online Halloween costume shops like buycostumes.com or spirithalloween.com. These online stores have it all; there are always costumes on sale that are budget friendly & super cute! A hot firefighter for only $15? We’ll take it!

Phot Sources:
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/red-hot-flirty-firefighter-costume/
http://www.charlotterusse.com/thumbnail/Accessories/Halloween-Accessorie…
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=255966…

Juliana is a senior Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts major with a minor in Global Studies at St. Michael's College. She serves as managing editor for her college newspaper (The Defender), is an online student ambassador for St. Mike's, writes a personal style blog (littlecupofj.com) and is an editorial intern at WellWed Magazine. Juliana hopes to move back to Cape Town after graduation, where she spent her spring 2014 semester abroad and work as a magazine editor or as an online/social media coordinator. Her favorites include blogging, all things pink, peonies & proteas, elephants, iced coffee, whistling, running and catch phrases.
Lauren Mazzoleni is a junior at Saint Michael's College where she majors in Digital Arts, Media Studies, and Journalism and minors in Psychology. Lauren and Alexandra Brenock are the two campus correspondents for Saint Michael's HC Branch. At Saint Michael's, she is a student blogger, a tour guide, and a disc jockey at WWPV 88.7 FM. Many of her friends would say that when she is not busy attending her classes or working on HC articles, you could find her watching many of the shows she always DVRs (Glee, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc), shopping on Church Street in downtown Burlington, and hanging out with her friends from Saint Michael's and from her hometown in NH.