How To Be Environmentally Friendly in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

If you aren’t already environmentally friendly here at school, why not? It’s easy! From observing others I feel like some reasons are laziness, inconvenience, and worst of all – apathy. Just lacking the desire or not feeling like this way of being has anything to do with you, but I am here to tell you to reverse those habits and thoughts. Every single person that uses the Earth’s materials and resources, relies on the Sun for energy, heat and light, consumes food, drinks water, or drives a car has a built it responsibility toward taking care of those things, and in making sure that future generations have the same or better accessibility. Once you become aware of habits and decide to change a few of them, you’ll no longer even remember a different way of living.

1.Educate 

Do you know about your school’s sustainability program or its environmental initiatives? Do you know about initiatives in your town or state or country? Do you know how they affect your life? If not, take a few minutes to look around online or reach out, talk about, and ask questions of those who may have the answers. The more you know, the better informed your actions will be and the better you can discuss with others. Saint Mikes Green Campus: http://www.smcvt.edu/on-campus/green-campus.aspx  

2. Compost

Material that comes from the Earth needs to go back into the Earth, and its worth saving your apple cores and banana peels for the green bin. I keep a tupperware in my room for the fruit, veggies, and napkins I use in my room so I have to make less trips to the end of the hall. If you don’t know what actually goes in the compost or what composting is, here you go: https://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/composting_basics/  If it comes from something that can come from the Earth, aways make sure to throw it in a Green Bin.

3. Recycle vs. Garbage

First, learn the difference between garbage and recycling. The recycling symbol is a pretty obvious one, keep things separated in your room in the two bins, blue for recycle, black for garbage, and dump into the corresponding larger bins. Ask people who come into your room to do the same. Think about what you normally might absentmindedly throw away and ask yourself if you’re putting it in the right place.

Recycling doesn’t always mean discarding. How can you reuse things to take full advantage of their productivity? If you misprint something, rather than just chucking it in the bin, save it for later when you may need scrap paper.

4. Usage

How much of anything are you using and what are you using? Every time you order something online, do you know what it takes to get that product to you? How much packaging does it takes for a small item? Before you use or buy something think about where it comes from and what goes into it. Do you really need it? If so are there ways to make it more friendly, by mitigating or substituting?

5. Public or Shared Transport

Carpool or take the bus whenever you can, the more people travelling in as few vehicles as possible is always better.

6. Stay away from Disposable

Having reusable dishes is a great way to cut down on your plastic or paper products, and you can easily wash said dishes in the sink when you’re done. Yes, it may be easier to just chuck away disposable products, but it takes about 1 extra minute and saves a whole lot more in the process.  

Having a reusable water bottle, which most people do, is a great first step. Swap your plastic cutlery for metal or wooden. Same goes for straws, cups, and plates. Ultimately this will save you money in the long run, as those things can last indefinitely if you take care of them. You can buy from the dollar store or purchase at a consignment store means you’re recycling and reusing while spending little money. Rather than throwing away clothes, donate them to friends, a thrift store, or organizations that will distribute them elsewhere.  

All of this doesn’t have to consume your life, or be perfect or happen all at once. It doesn’t mean sacrificing things you like. It just means being aware and putting in a small amount of effort. Just like you take a shower for your hygiene and so you don’t smell and scare everyone else around you away, you should take the steps toward being conscious about the environment, for yourself and all the other billions of humans and animals we are lucky enough to share this utopia of a planet with. If you don’t care, start to. Start small, have fun with it, and as Nike would say, please, “Just Do It”.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.