Halloween Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It may be more difficult for us to go trick-or-treating, collegiettes, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take part in Halloween traditions on and off campus.

1.       Hay Rides

Especially in New England, many campuses are within a short drive of an apple orchard or pumpkin patch. Grab your friends and head over to a local orchard so you can get the full hay-riding experience, and maybe even pick up a pumpkin or a peck of apples.

2.       Carving Pumpkins

If you have a sharp knife and can deal with the mess, you’re ready for some serious pumpkin-carving. Go with the classic Jack-O-Lantern or make yourself a cute cat. Then either put a candle or stuff a mass of Christmas lights in your pumpkin to light up the night.

3.       Buying and Eating Candy

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Candy is one of those things that always tastes amazing, even when it’s not free.

4.       Making Costumes

Whether you throw together what you already have or buy some fabric and take to the sewing machine, making your costume is half the preparation for a great Halloween. Whether you’re on a budget or the sky’s the limit, take a night to step out of yourself and be what you’ve always wanted to be.

5.       Dance Party

Around Halloween it’s okay to crank out those seasonal tunes, like Thriller and Monster Mash, as you dance the night away. Have some haunted fun and, to quote a famous witch, “Dance! Dance until you die!!”

Image source:

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2010/10/unusual-origins-of-jack-o-lantern.html