bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Girl and the Bureau: A Journey of Being Concussed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Its a tale as old as time. It was kind of like Jack and the Beanstalk except the giant’s castle was my bed and the beanstalk was a chair. In this tale the beanstalk snapped or in my case the chair tipped over and the head bang heard across the world occurred right before my gal pal’s eyes. Head meets bureau and I meet Steve the doctor and, my girl, Linda the nurse who gave me Moana stickers, so all in all not the worst way to spend my Sunday Funday. Anyways I have never had a concussion, but I know it’s nothing to take lately and these past two weeks have been no merry-go-round.

Concussions are no joke, even though I was laughing after I fell, of course. My roommate who has had like 5 concussions (bless her soul) reminded me that if you break your leg you can’t just go for a run, so when you kinda break your brain you can’t really use it for how its meant to be used. So, listening to movies and staring at blank walls is my new favorite pastime. As much as I tried to do homework, workout, and go on my phone it only made things worse. Lucky, or ironically, for me I got my concussion during Brain Health Awareness week so I got the chance to meet and talk with people about my recovery. They told me the most important thing is rest, just like any other injury this takes time to heal. This is my brain— the one pulling all the strings—so recovery should be taken seriously. Everyday, new things are coming out about concussions and how important it is to take care of your head. Concussions being a new thing also means a lot of people don’t know much about it. I got a lot of “shouldn’t you be better by now?” and “if you can do this than why can’t you do this?” and it really stressed me out, but I just had to remind myself that unlike other injuries, concussions are invisible to everyone else and they won’t 100% understand what you’re going through. You know your body best and you know what’s best for it, so don’t let anyone try to tell you how you feel, unless they can go all Profesor X on ya. Anyways, concussions really suck… like really suck, but you don’t have to go through it alone. Bergeron and the athletic trainers have been working with me everyday and have helped me communicate with my professors about work and how they can help me within class by either dimming lights or not blasting heavy metal which one of my teachers was actually about to do before he remembered that little old me had a broken head. I am able to do work, but for every minute I do work I have to double that for napping, which I am not complaining about it just means getting work done is a very slow process. I am still in recovery, buried in work, and still can’t watch Netflix so don’t even remind me that they just added the new season of New Girl. But the school year is almost over and I see something forming over the horizon and its COMEBACK SZN baby.

P.S. Don’t forget to wear a helmet when climbing on elevated surfaces and to be honest wearing headphones and sunglasses at the townhouses is not a bad move. Good day and God Bless!

My Name is Molly