timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Essential Northern Vermont Fall Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Autumn presents everything Vermont is in a single season. Weather starts to cool down, chunky sweaters are broken out and paired with Bean boots, as people drink ice cold ciders or hot maple milk.  Everywhere you turn nature has transformed into an infinite source of beauty. You simply cannot sit and watch this incredible season go by. Throw yourself into it this year, explore the fall-themed events and activities offered below, and revel in the reds, oranges, and yellows before everything turns white.

1.  Buy yourself a cute new pair of boots. What better way is there to kick off the season?

2.  South End Art Hop in Burly is happening this very weekend, if you wanted to get started right away!

3.  Head over to Cold Hollow for the best fresh apple cider, cider doughnuts, and all of the other fantastic products they have there.

4.  Check out Grand Point North to get in one more music festival before the warm weather goes! This smaller-sized music festival, comes to the Burlington Waterfront September 17th and 18th.

5.  Or instead head out to Smuggler’s Notch for FallFest, if you aren’t into the music festival scene! Held the same weekend of September 16th, click here for more. 

6.  Vermont Pumpkin Chuckin’ Festival– What’s more Vermont than catapulting pumpkins to the beat of local live music? September 25th in Stowe.

7.  Really love Stowe? Hit up their Foliage Arts Festival October 7th-9th! They showcase around 200 artists and delicious food, as well as incomparable views of the foliage. And if you happen to be 21, they also offer a beer, cheese, and sausage tent.

8.  Check out the Von Trappe Lodge! Walk the grounds, learn about maple sugaring, or hear its history, and finish with a coffee or tea in their Austrian Tea Room.

9.  Be unconventional and road trip along some of Vermont’s most beautiful winding roads and get lost for a few hours. Some suggestions are the Mad River Scenic Byway and the Molly Stark Scenic Byway.

10.  Cilley Hill Pumpkin Glow in Jericho, VT! Whole neighborhoods set out their elaborately carved pumpkins at night for visitors to walk through and look at. I’ve seen some of the largest pumpkins in my entire life and am hugely impressed with the creativity.

11.  Try one new thing a week, whether it’s attending one of these lovely attractions, attending a show at the Flynn that you normally wouldn’t, or even just trying out a new restaurant (there’s so many, you’ll never have an excuse not to).

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.