This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Senior Emma Hauser is a leader. She’s a captain, a president and a member of the Purple Knights Leadership Academy. She was an Orientation Leader, so we know she loves to have a good time and even thought St. Mike’s wasn’t her first choice of colleges, the smiling face on campus made her decide that this was the place to be!

What are you majoring in? What are your plans for after graduation?

I’m a mathematics major and in all honestly, I’m not sure about after graduation. I think I would like to work as an analyst maybe in a non-profit or as an actuary.

What clubs/activities are you involved in on campus?

I’m a member of the SMC Swim team, president of the Aca Bellas, an Student Association representative, an Orientation Leader, member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, a member of the Purple Knights Leadership Academy, a member of the senior class gift committee and a math tutor. 

What was the best part of being a four-year student-athlete? The worst?

The best part of being a four-year student-athlete at Saint Mike’s was definitely the team camaraderie. I’ve made some of the best friends I’ve ever had on this team. I don’t know if there is a worst part of the team, but days when I had an afternoon class during practice, I had to get up at 5:15 in the morning to swim my practice with the master’s team, but I did get to watch the sunrise after practice, which made it worthwhile.

Why did you decide to come to St. Mike’s?

Two of my cousins came to school here, and though it wasn’t my first choice when I began my college search, it moved to the top of the list after I came for my first visit. I realized how much SMC has to offer with campus activities, and how unique it is in that aspect. 

What’s your favorite part about St. Mike’s?

My favorite part about Saint Mike’s would be how many people are smiling at you when you walk around campus. Even bundled up in the dead of winter, people are always so friendly! 

What do you do for fun?

Hanging out with friends is always a go-to, and we inevitably end up doing something unexpected like going to find the world’s largest filing cabinet (It’s in burlington if I’ve now piqued your curiosity). Going downtown is always fun and, of course, skiing in the winter!

Do you have any advice for underclassmen?

The best advice an upperclassman ever gave me besides to get involved on campus, was to go talk to professors outside of class. On top of classwork help, my professors have helped me secure an internship, go abroad, and connect to recent alumni in my field of study.

What is one story about St. Mike’s that you’ll love to retell for decades after graduation?

The opportunity that I had through St. Mike’s to study abroad in Tanzania was life changing. I know I’ll carry those experiences with me forever and share details with anyone willing to listen! And one on-campus memory I’ll always share is the sophomore year snow day when my friends and I went tray sledding all day!

Alex is a junior at Saint Michel's College and is pursuing a degree in business administration. Alex is from Massachusetts but loves beautiful Vermont (minus the freezing cold, snowy winters)! She loves being involved on campus - besides running the Saint Mike's Branch of Her Campus, she is a tour guide and blogger for her college and a mentor to a second-grader. Alex plans on studying-abroad in Ireland and would love to move to Boston or New York City after graduation. She is uber passionate about social media and marketing and hopes to attend business school in the future. In her free time, Alex enjoys baking, taking naps, going to the movies with friends, and telling jokes about pirates.