Cool Places to Go off Campus in Vermont

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Many people think that just because Vermont is such a small state that there will not be much to do. However, there are so many different things to do and experience in the great state of Vermont (I might be a bit biased because I’m a Vermont native). Although downtown Burlington is a great place to go, there are many other places to explore in Vermont. Whether it be exploring in nature or enjoying ice cream, here are ten things to do off campus if you’re going to college in Vermont!

1. Shelburne Museum

The Shelburne Museum is a great place to check out! There are 38 different exhibit buildings and over 150,000 works to look at. The art and history that can be experienced at this museum is fantastic. The Ticonderoga is one of my favorite thing to look at and taking a ride on the merry-go-round is fun as well! Going in the spring is one of the best times because everything is in bloom – the lilacs that they have there are gorgeous!

2. Shelburne Farms

Shelburne Farms is also a fantastic place to go during the warmer months, or even in the fall.  For $8, you can go on their walking trails and experience the beauty of Vermont. The trail brings you near the lake and the barns, and they have various tours of the property as well,

3. Visit a covered bridge!

There are so many different covered bridges in Vermont. There is even one at the Shelburne Museum. However, if you wanted to go “covered bridge hopping”, there are a few in Charlotte that you could check out. Doing a little research and taking a road trip is definitely worth it!

4. Ben and Jerry’s Factory

If you want to learn more about how Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is made, then you can visit their factory in Waterbury, Vermont. The tour is around 30 minutes and shows you the process of making ice cream. Once you’ve finished the tour, you can select one of your favorite flavors (or you can just go on a road trip to buy ice cream and change things up).

5. Von Trapp Family Lodge

The Von Trapp Family Lodge is a beautiful resort located in Stowe, Vermont. Many have heard of The Sound of Music, which is based on the life of the Von Trapp family. This was a place where the actual family stayed after coming to America. Although the typical college student wouldn’t want to splurge and book a room, they have beautiful mountain biking and hiking trails. In the winter, it’s also a great place to go for cross country skiing.

6. Stowe

Stowe is a gorgeous place to go, especially in the fall when the trees have turned! There are many places to go and explore, but one of my favorite places to go is the Malt Shop! The ice cream is delicious and it makes you feel as though you’ve stepped back in time.

7.  Fire and Ice (Middlebury)

Fire and Ice in Middlebury, Vermont is another one of my favorite places to go out to eat. Their salad bar is fantastic, and if you go on the weekends, their lunch options are amazing! There is so much history that can be seen in this one building, as there are pictures everywhere. It is also located near different shops in Middlebury that you could go to as well!

8. Go skiing/snowboarding!

Being from Vermont, people assume that I must ski or snowboard; however, I do neither. But if you do ski/snowboard, or want to learn how, then Vermont is the perfect place to do so! Smugglers Notch, Jay Peak, and Bolton are just a few of the many places one could go in the winter!

9. Go hiking!

There are SO many different mountains to go to in Vermont. Whether it be Mount Philo, Camel’s Hump, or Mount Mansfield, there are hiking trails for both beginners and more advanced hikers. Wherever you’re at with your hiking skills, the view at the top is always worth the hike!

10. Oakledge Park

There are many different parks in Vermont, but this one is one of my favorites! There is a picnic area and a small beach to go to, but my favorite part of the park is the giant treehouse!

An honorable mention goes out to Montreal in Canada. Even though it isn’t in Vermont, it’s only a few hours drive and well worth it! Many think Vermont is in Canada anyways, so it’s close enough.

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.