Cody Putnam: Running To The Finish

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Hometown: Alburgh, Vermont

Major: Psychology

Year of graduation: 2017

Her Campus: What have you been involved with here at Saint Mike’s?

Cody Putnam: As of freshman year to now, I have been a registrar’s assistant, a ground maintenance crew worker, special events assistant, I’ve been on the rugby team, the cycling club, the track club, volleyball intramural, basketball intramural, soccer intramural, cross country running, Nordic skiing, van certified, cpr certified, residential assistant/ACA, secretary of random acts of kindness club, web designer/investment club, soar leader, liturgical minister (church choir), school chorale, class president, student and finally I run a snowflake business.

(http://snowflakeputfrost.weebly.com/)

HC: Wow you’re really involved! What’s it like to be an RA on campus?

CP: It’s kind of like being a big brother in combination with being a mentor. It gives me life meaning as I serve as a resource, guidance/protection and ultimately someone who cares deeply about them. Sometimes the job is easy, but it equally demands a lot. Being an RA is an amazing experience as it allows me to grow and mature while giving back to the Saint Mikes community.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Saint Mikes?

CP: Everything. I got down to two specific things really. Although this may sound cliché, the community because everyone is so close and so welcoming. The second thing is that the system really doesn’t allow you to fail. They keep you motivated and they’re so good at it. I’ve been really fortunate with the resources here to help me keep going in tough times.

HC: What made you want to pursue cross-country and skiing at the varsity level?

CP: I’m a very very very competitive person. I did it in high school and when you’re good at something you like doing it. I was good at running and I saw this as an opportunity to better myself. I also just really love the sport. It’s a good way to vent and just be with myself.

HC: If you could eat dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be and why? 

CP: Ellen Degeneres. She’s someone that I want to be. In a weird way I want to be really rich so that I could give it all away. Because I really find satisfaction in making people happy and helping them out. And she does that very well.

HC: What is something that you hope to do as a senior?

CP: Graduate. No but seriously, school wise I’d really like to have a 3.8 GPA just because it would be really nice to end on a high note. I already know I’m going to have a lot on my plate, being class president and hopefully a captain for both of my sports, but I’m really looking forward to making the most of my last year here.