neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Katie O’Donoghue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

My freshman year I was lucky enough to live next door to the smiley, warm and outgoing Katie O’Donoghue. I was even luckier to recruit her as Her Campus’ Social Media Executive, and still luckier to have her as one of my closest friends here at SMC. Katie makes an incredible effort to be involved in many different things on campus and brightens the day of all who run into her.  

YOG 2019

Hometown Reading, Massachusetts

Major Sociology and Religious Studies with a minor in Gender Studies

HC: What are you involved in here at SMC?

KO: I’m the Social Media director of Her Campus (great club), and I’m also involved in Residence Hall Association, peer tutoring, Active Minds, Student Support Network, and I have a radio show with WWPV.

HC: What is the most special thing that has happened to you at SMC?

KO: I think the friendships I’ve made here have been the most special. From the very beginning I knew I picked the right school because I met my best friend on the first day of orientation, and my floor became like a family soon after. From then on, I’ve had so many wonderful people enter my life and I feel really lucky to say that. This campus wouldn’t be the amazing place that it is without all the great students, staff, and faculty.

HC: Who is your favorite professor?

KO: I can’t choose one, so I’ll go with Bob Brenneman from the Sociology department and Sajida Jalalzai from the Religious Studies department. They have both made me really passionate about their respective disciplines and they are also my advisors. They’re both fascinating people who really care about their students and create environments that are conducive to academic growth and curiosity.

HC: We’ve heard you really love Peppa Pig. Explain a little?

KO: For some context, Peppa Pig is a children’s cartoon show. One time I saw this tabloid cover on Twitter that just said “Peppa Pig Destroyed Our Marriage,” and it made me laugh so hard. Ever since then, I’ve been obsessed with her. Recently, my friends decorated my room for my 20th (TWENTIETH) birthday with all kinds of Peppa Pig stuff and it was hilarious.

HC: What is your favorite song right now? 

KO: Probably anything off of Chance’s mixtape Coloring Book. I think Angels and Finish Line are probably my favorites. ALSO, my roommate just showed me a cover that Chance did of Feel No Ways by Drake and that’s unreal. I guess what I’m trying to say is I just love Chance the Rapper.

HC: What is your go-to Alliot recipe? 

KO: I’m pretty uncreative in Alliot, but I usually dig the vegetarian options. Richard also makes a mean grilled cheese.

HC: Where do you see yourself at the end of your time at SMC? 

KO: I hope that, in general, Saint Mike’s makes me a better person. I’ve already learned so much about myself in the time that I’ve been here. Saint Mike’s has taught me a lot about empathy, awareness, community, and the importance of taking care of one another and I hope to bring that into my future career. After I graduate, I want to become a high school guidance counselor and I definitely think SMC is setting me up to have a positive influence on my future students. 

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.