Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

SMCVT Blog

Dealing with Long Distance Relationships

By Riley Stefano
March 4, 2014 - 12:00am

We all know the famous saying, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." And it does! Seperation in any relationship for a period of time is healthy because it allows us to miss our significant other and to once again find the source of passion we felt when our relationship was fresh and new. After days, weeks, or months of not seeing that one you love most, it is the best feeling and the greatest reward to once again be able to embrace them and be overcome with the feeling of love. Getting to that reward, however, is the greatest challenge. READ MORE

Mike Check

By Taylor Williams
January 29, 2014 - 6:50pm

Mike Check members as pictured above: Back row: Dan Russell ‘15, Sean Morrissey ‘16, Ben Carroll ‘17, Jake Trackey ‘14, Ben Lane ‘16 (standing on table), and Pat Stap ‘17 (also standing on table). Front Row: James Greer ‘14, Nate Dean ’16, Logan Estes ’14, Chris Morrison ’17, Mike Wojcik ’16, Harper Fendler ’15 (being carried by Dylan), Richie Bernache ’16 (sleeping on Dylan’s shoulder), Dylan Gauthier ’15 (carrying Harper), Jay Swartz ’17, and Tim Nagy ’15. Not pictured: Chris Holloway ’17, Zac Pesner ’15, James Devoursney ‘16.   READ MORE

Pre-Study Abroad Stresses (and how to deal with them)

By Juliana Summers
November 15, 2013 - 12:00am

We’re past the application honeymoon phase. We applied and got accepted and jumped for joy and cried happy tears. We’re actually studying abroad. I received my acceptance letter in the middle of October to go to South Africa next semester and was immediately more ecstatic than words can describe. ...about 5 minutes later, I panicked. Did I make the right choice? (Yes.) Did I pick the right location? (Of course.) Will I be happy? (Duh.) How am I going to support myself over there since my bank account balance is plummeting? (Uhhhh…) READ MORE

Take a LEAP

By Lauren Carter
November 10, 2013 - 11:41am

When I came to college, I never considered the possibility of going on a Catholic retreat.  The closest I’ve been to a church is when I was baptized and since then I’ve been back a handle full of times.  So, when I heard about LEAP, a catholic based retreat, I was hesitant.  All my friends have been on LEAP have come back gushing about how much fun it was and all the friends they made during their three-day weekend.   After hearing all the good things about what they had experienced, my mind started to churn over the idea more and more.  I love meeting new people and putting myself out of my comfort zone, and feeling more at center with myself  so I figured, why the hell not! READ MORE

The Best Nostalgic Halloween Movies

By Cara Chapman
November 1, 2013 - 12:00am

It’s that time of year again! Make way for costumes, trick-or-treating (for those of us who still can) and, of course, Halloween movies. If you’re anything like me, you don’t like to be scared out of your wits, but you can still appreciate the quality and fun of Halloween movies that, let’s face it, all of us watched at one point or another. So here’s a list that will hopefully get you in the mood for that magical time in fall: Halloween. 1.       It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown READ MORE

Aaron’s Still Throwing a Party, and We Can Still Come and Get It

By Taylor Williams
October 6, 2013 - 12:00am

READ MORE

How to Use Your Alliot Swipes

By Cara Chapman
October 4, 2013 - 12:30pm

Here at St. Michael’s, one of the perks of being an upperclassman is being able to live in the townhouses and apartments on campus. For most people, however, there is a tradeoff: you only get to go into Alliot forty times per semester, plus however many times a generous person will swipe you in. The transition from total dependence on the chefs in the Green Mountain Dining Hall to having to buy and make your own food can be difficult. But, if you strategize how you use your swipes throughout the semester, you can make the most out of your limited dining hall experience without wasting swipes on hot dog night. READ MORE

Going out this weekend? 5 tips you should know, now!

By Juliana Summers
September 27, 2013 - 12:00am

Heading out to the 300’s this weekend? We all know it happens: in college, people party. Loud music, fun people, great drinks; hey, what’s not to love, right? Well, until it has the potential to go downhill. So, to avoid that like the fabulous and fun collegiettes that you are, we’re here to tell you our top 5 tips for staying safe while still having an awesome time out at that party with your friends! (Even if you’ve never gone out before, or have partied every weekend since freshman year…)   READ MORE

The 2013 Her Campus Conference – The Experience & What I Learned

By Juliana Summers
September 13, 2013 - 12:00am

I’ve been to Manhattan plenty of times before, but never on my own. Heading to the city that Friday morning by myself on the Megabus reassured me that I’m hitting the tipping point of being a real person (and by real person, I mean an adult…crazy). I arrived at the 28th street Megabus drop-stop around 11 a.m., but check-in wasn’t until 3 p.m. at my hotel. Oh man, so much time to kill. I hailed a cab successfully on my first try, which was the most satisfying rush, and I made my way to Jane Street to drop my bags off at the Jane Hotel. READ MORE

Ways to Spend your Summer in Burlington

By Lauren Kopchik
May 3, 2013 - 12:00am

Vermont offers so many incredible opportunities for things to do throughout the summer. Planning on sticking around while school is out? Read this list for ideas on cool things to do. And remember, it’s okay to be a tourist! READ MORE